FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating DCP from FCP6 DVCPro HD 29.97fps timeline footage is interlaced, not progressive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Davis
Creating DCP from FCP6 DVCPro HD 29.97fps timeline footage is interlaced, not progressive
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:50:50 pm

Hi,

I need to have a professional post house create a DCP for an upcoming film festival. I'm new to this, it's my first documentary and I was learning as I went along. (Yes in the future I will shoot 24fps!!!)

The post houses all can transcode my 29.97fps footage to 24fps for an additional fee. However, my footage is DVCProHD and was shot 1080i60 so it is interlaced not progressive, and no post houses seem concerned about that. Some post houses call out ProRes HQ as the Codec needed, while others seem okay with the DVCPro HD codec I used to edit.

The festival is at the end of the month so I'm cutting it close and would prefer not to have to spend days transcoding on my older iMac.

Should I be concerned about the end result? Is there anything I can do in FCP or Compressor that will guarantee a better end result, before I turn the film over to the post house for transcoding?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Creating DCP from FCP6 DVCPro HD 29.97fps timeline footage is interlaced, not progressive
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:44:29 pm

OK, so they want a 1080p 24fps DCP. And your show is 1080i 29.97. I'd export a master at DVCPRO HD 1080i 29.97...just as your sequence is set up. And see if the post house can make a good 1080p 24fps file from that, and then make the DCP. If they make lots of DCPs, they must be used to converting interlaced 29.97 to good looking 24p.

Are they? That might be why they aren't concerned....because this is done quite often.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Creating DCP from FCP6 DVCPro HD 29.97fps timeline footage is interlaced, not progressive
on Aug 8, 2014 at 6:58:45 am

DCP can be 24, 25, 30 or 48 frames per second.You can (if you are tech savvy) make your own DCP with Open DCP which is open source software and cross platform. Hardest part is formatting your delivery hard drive to ext3 (Linux ofrmat) but you can always do this by booting your computer using a live CD of Linux.

So why not 30 frame and deinterlace? Might look better than a 24p from a 59.94i. 30 fps is a .1% speed up but won't affect audio pitch as that is too small to perceive. You will need to bear in mind that sep audio will need to be sped up to true 30 to sync but that is true of going to 24p as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]