FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aliasing(?) Issue with shirt. Any suggestions?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Juntunen
Aliasing(?) Issue with shirt. Any suggestions?
on Aug 4, 2014 at 7:02:59 pm

I've done a lot of digging and found answers that either don't seem to suggest anything other than reshooting the footage or that i've been using the wrong term to describe my problem. Anyway, I shot a video for my company and unfortunately the subject's shirt caused a lot of issues (probably something I should've caught on the 60D's screen, but I was focused on making sure he was focused and that the background action was okay). When I brought the footage into FCP7, I immediately saw the waves and warps and squiggles, etc. I tried the anti-alias filter to no true effect, and a free download of another similar filter rendered even less of a result. Is there anyway to fix this shirt issue in FCP7, or is a reshoot the best avenue?

A screenshot is included for reference. Thanks, Creative Cow geniuses!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Aliasing(?) Issue with shirt. Any suggestions?
on Aug 4, 2014 at 7:16:53 pm

This is not aliasing, per se, specifically it is the Moire' Effect.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Aug 4, 2014 at 8:36:54 pm

"This is not aliasing, per se, specifically it is the Moire' Effect."

Well Moire is aliasing
Is a name for a form of spatial aliasing pattern

Pierre

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 4, 2014 at 7:22:20 pm

It's not in the book, but you might try using a combination of the 3-way color corrector's ability to isolate a single color, with a chromakey effect, to create a traveling matte, then apply gaussian blur to just what is inside that matte. The tiny stripes in the shirt are spaced so close together that the edges are creating that shimmer, called Moire' ("Muah-wray"). Reducing overall resolution in the shirt area will kill it, as will fixing it on location, either by changing the focal length, or changing the shirt for a solid color or a less fine pattern.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2014 at 7:44:04 pm

Try a 2 pt gaussian blur, or 2pt directional blur...with the direction being up/down...not side/side. You can garbage matte it so it only affects the shirt area. But yeah...thin stripes are bad...always bad.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Derek Juntunen
on Aug 4, 2014 at 8:17:32 pm

Incredible. Thanks for the quick and helpful responses, guys. This'll ease my co-worker's fear of having to do a reshoot. Both of your suggestions combined to make a fix that I don't think the subject will even notice when he reviews it. Amazing. Thank you again! Creative Cow is the best.

After image:

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 4, 2014 at 9:04:07 pm

Don't forget to dock the DOP's pay fifty bucks for messing up in the first place, and give your editor a fifty-buck bonus for "fixing it in post". ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]