FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D MarkIII 720p 50fps work flow question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vikster Chew
Canon 5D MarkIII 720p 50fps work flow question
on Aug 4, 2014 at 9:24:47 am

Hi, I'm an offline editor for a post production company. I'm having some workflow problem with some footages from 5D MarkIII shoot in 1280/720p 50fps.

The client shoot in 50fps so that they could get some slow motion visual. However, I'm confused with a few things below:

1. In FCP, should I convert all these footages into Prores 25fps and work in a 25fps sequence?

- The reason: My online artist saids it's easier to work in 25fps and it is what they did all these while.

- My problem with this: I noticed we can't see the slow motion effect working with 25 fps footages in 25fps sequence.

2. In FCP, should I convert all these footages into Prores 50fps and work in a 50fps sequence?

- The reason: I noticed the only way to be able create slow motion visual is to edit in 50fps and export in 25fps. So I thought I could work in 50fps, export an EDL in 50fps for my colorist and Online artist, and they will be working in 50fps, export in 25fps.

- My problem with this: However, I realized we can't see the slow motion in real time play back, before we export in 25fps. Plus, my online artist saids they usually only get 25fps from others offline editor & colorist.

Really appreciate if anyone could advise on this. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon 5D MarkIII 720p 50fps work flow question
on Aug 4, 2014 at 11:29:33 am

You'll need to work in a 25fps sequence if you want smooth slow motion, but you can't convert the footage to that smooth slow motion inside FCP. You have to CONFORM it with Cinema Tools...here's the tutorial on how to do that:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/slow-motion_cinema-tools/1

Duplicate any footage you intend on using normal speed AND slow motion...and the conform is a DESTRUCTIVE process. Once you convert, you can't go back.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vikster Chew
Re: Canon 5D MarkIII 720p 50fps work flow question
on Aug 5, 2014 at 4:19:24 am

Thank you so much Shane! It's helps a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]