Hi, I'm an offline editor for a post production company. I'm having some workflow problem with some footages from 5D MarkIII shoot in 1280/720p 50fps.
The client shoot in 50fps so that they could get some slow motion visual. However, I'm confused with a few things below:
1. In FCP, should I convert all these footages into Prores 25fps and work in a 25fps sequence?
- The reason: My online artist saids it's easier to work in 25fps and it is what they did all these while.
- My problem with this: I noticed we can't see the slow motion effect working with 25 fps footages in 25fps sequence.
2. In FCP, should I convert all these footages into Prores 50fps and work in a 50fps sequence?
- The reason: I noticed the only way to be able create slow motion visual is to edit in 50fps and export in 25fps. So I thought I could work in 50fps, export an EDL in 50fps for my colorist and Online artist, and they will be working in 50fps, export in 25fps.
- My problem with this: However, I realized we can't see the slow motion in real time play back, before we export in 25fps. Plus, my online artist saids they usually only get 25fps from others offline editor & colorist.
Really appreciate if anyone could advise on this. Thanks!
You'll need to work in a 25fps sequence if you want smooth slow motion, but you can't convert the footage to that smooth slow motion inside FCP. You have to CONFORM it with Cinema Tools...here's the tutorial on how to do that: