FORUMS: list search recent posts

.MXF Trouble

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Koblenz
.MXF Trouble
on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:08:52 pm

I have to edit some footage that's been given to me in .mxf format. Log and Transfer didn't work, so I tried two different converters. Both of them show no video image at all, just audio. When I load the files to convert, I can play the audio but not the video. The screen is black. I can hear the takes, but no image. It's maddening. But the files are all 4-10gb, so there's gotta be an video there, right? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: .MXF Trouble
on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:37:11 pm

Where did these files come from? Camera masters? Or Avid media files?

If a camera, what camera? Panasonic P2? Canon C300? Was the full card structure kept intact, or did they only grab the MXF files...or say only the VIDEO and AUDIO folders? When it comes to backing up camera masters and getting those to the editor, it's best practice to back up the full card, keeping the entire file structure intact. If you don't (if they don't), then that risks the footage not being able to be imported into the editing software.

If Avid media files...then you'll need to import this footage differently. And this means needing access to an Avid to export things (or they need to export things). This is a huge workflow.

There are third party apps that allow FCP to read the MXF file format. MXF4Mac, Calibrated, raylight. You can use these, but if the audio and video is separate, then that means a lot of linking will need to be done inside the app.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]