FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making 30p or 24p *really* look like film

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Edmunds
Making 30p or 24p *really* look like film
on Jul 28, 2014 at 2:24:16 pm

While shooting 30p or 24p gets you going in the right direction toward achieving a true 'film look', I still feel it falls somewhere between true film and traditional video. It still has a stuttering effect when panning the camera, for example. I remember when the new Doctor Who came out in 2005, it was shot on interlaced video and then processed so it looked just like it was shot on film. While I know there is far more to achieving a filmic look than the format you shoot on (there is grading, shooting with a shallow DOF, etc), I assume there has to be a way to work in post to make any camera movement (panning, especially) look less stuttery. Can any eon guide me in the right direction? I use FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Making 30p or 24p *really* look like film
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:13:04 pm

Color Correction is a big thing. Adding film grain if you want to go that far. Nattress had FILM EFFECTS plugins, including on to make 29.97 into a really good 24p. Biggest key though, you mentioned...is lighting and lens..and color correction.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:14:23 pm

I can't answer the Dr. Who stuff: no indication of the frame rate at which it was shot.

I expect that it was delivered at 25fps, because that's the frame rate at which the BBC broadcasts. For simplicity's sake, it also could have been shot at 25fps AND interlaced, but shot using Progressive Segmented Frame. That's where the image sensors capture an entire frame, but record that frame as two fields. It's pretty common, and not at all exotic.

You will ALWAYS have problems with horizontal motion -- it's a phenomenon called judder, and it's most apparent when shooting at a lower frame rates.... like 23.976 or 25. It's been a fact of life since the days of real celluloid film, and directors of photography would develop charts to minimize it -- controlling the horizontal motion in a staic camera shot, or controlling the speed of a pan.

No getting around that one.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bill Edmunds
on Jul 28, 2014 at 6:02:46 pm

Dave, the thing is, the judder from film -- or current TV programs that are probably all shot on video -- is less objectionable than that straight out of a DSLR at 30p or 24p… to my eyes at least.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:52:37 pm

The shutter angle, combined with the frame rate AND the speed of the move itself - all combine to either increase or minimize that judder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]