FORUMS: list search recent posts

Affordable HD monitoring in FCP7 (not X!!!)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Lombardo
Affordable HD monitoring in FCP7 (not X!!!)
on Jul 26, 2014 at 12:02:18 pm

Dear all,

I'd like to add to my current FCP7 system (based on a MBPR15 with TB display) a second HD monitor. What I'm looking for is an affordable but working solution. The importance of color grading is not a problem for me: I'm working exclusively for web contents and I want to use a LG 42" FULL HDTV.

In the last weeks I've been looking info regarding BM UltraStudio (Express and Mini), AJA Io XT and Matrox MXO2, but I really didn't understand well what's the best.

What I'd like to have is a solid solution using the "VIDEO PLAYBACK\DIGITAL CINEMA DESKTOP" to a HDTV via HDMI.

Last but not least I want a gear that handles audio as well: now I'm using the headphones out from my MBPR , but I'd like to have something more accurate.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestion!!! :)

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
Re: Affordable HD monitoring in FCP7 (not X!!!)
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:07:18 pm

Hi,

I have a similar setup (but I -nearly- don't use FCP7 anymore).

A 2011 MBP15 with a TB display. From that display a TB pegasus raid and from that a Matrox MXO2 mini with TB adapter. The matrox feeds the video display and audio. It mirrors the canvas and source viewer. Works perfectly. You can even kind of calibrate the HDMI output.

I think the BM/AJA/Matrox will work equally well, all have FCP7 drivers. See the specs. The BM Ultrastudio mini only has HDMI output, so your sound should come via the monitor. And also think about the future; that you perhaps want to use resolve lite (free) for color correction. That one only works with BM hardware.

Mind your OS, I am (and with this mbp stay) on 10.8; and hear problems with audio slipping out of sync and more problems with 10.9 and this kind of setup with FCP7

So they should all work, check the specs and prices to see which one suits you best; and think of the future (FCP7 is long EOL).

Return to posts index

Michele Lombardo
on Jul 26, 2014 at 4:55:36 pm

Hi Richard,

thank you very much for your kind reply!
Matrox MXO2 mini seems to be my favorite solution. So I'd like to ask you a few more things.

Do u have any sync problem?

How FCP is "reactive" with MXO2? (I mean: when u hit PLAY does it start immediately or it became "slow"…)

Does MXO2 manage all the audio of Mac OS (outside FCP)?

I usually work with ProRes422 23.98fps 48Khz sequences; to have the HD preview working, do I have to work with a "Matrox codec" or I can continue as I'm working now?

Thank you very much!!!

Return to posts index

Michele Lombardo
on Jul 26, 2014 at 7:06:26 pm

I report the test I've just done.

My system is: MBPR 15" Thunderbolt Display OS 10.8.5 FCP 7.0.3

I connected a 42" LG LCD HDTV to the HDMI onboard port, set the VIDEO PLAYBACK to Apple Cinema Desktop Preview and everything work perfectly!!!

The very only one problem (and it's so little…) it's a delay between the canvas (on Thunderbolt Display) and the LG HDTV: if I set the audio to onboard audio, the "mac" is synced and LG HDTV is 2/3 frames "after". If I set the audio to HDMI, the LG HDTV is synced and the "mac" is 2/3 frames "before".

But the quality, the playback and the frame rate is PERFECT!!!

DO you think with Matrox MXO2 won't I have this little problem!?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 26, 2014 at 7:37:31 pm

The signal being sent to the display via the HDMI port is a computer signal, not a video signal. The colors won't be accurate...well, not for TV. But your stuff is meant for the web, so it might be. I'm not sure as I don't have HDMI out on my laptop...I didn't get the Retina model.

For proper VIDEO monitoring, for TV...and you want the best...then the AJA T-TAP or AJA IoXT are the best. That's what I'm using and it works for FCP 7, Avid MC 7 and Premiere Pro. Rock solid, and they are always on top of their drivers and compatibility.

The Matrox MXO Mini is also something I own, and I really like them. The only issue I have with them is that when updates to software come out, they aren't always the fastest with the drivers. But for FCP 7...it's also rock solid. I recommend it for FCP 7...for sure. And it's cheaper than the AJA IoXT.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Jul 27, 2014 at 2:44:37 pm

Hi,

As Shane said, the MXO2 mini is rock solid with FCP7. No lag or stutter when you hit play. It's because everything (scaling and so) is done in hardware (and not in software by FCP7).

You can use your prores and other codecs and it will play fine, you don't have to use matrox codecs. It will even do transcoding (if you have and SD timeline it will upress to HD and vice versa). Again in hardware so no lag. It should also do framerate conversion (your 23.98 to 60), but I am in 25fps.

Return to posts index

Michele Lombardo
on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:19:40 am

Thanks to everybody for your help!!!

Now my decision is between Matrox MXO2 Mini and Aja T-Tap. The thing is I use pair of Yamaha NS10M as speakers, so I need to feed out an analog audio signal (perfectly synced with the video…).

I suppose this issue could make me decide about the Matrox… With T-Tap I would take the analog audio out from HDMI…

wdyt?!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michele Lombardo
on Jul 30, 2014 at 8:51:15 am

On Matrox MXO2, feeding the video out of the HDMI and the audio out of the RCA, is a/v sync perfect?!

Thx!

Return to posts index

Steve Coulson
Video monitoring/vtr control device for FCP 7
on Mar 23, 2017 at 9:33:26 am

Our AJA i/o HD device has died and is too expensive to replace.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a different company's product that can facilitate external video monitoring and vtr control? Specifically, we need a device to connect to our Apple computer via firewire. That device controls a vtr via RS -232 and it provides an HDMI output for our external monitor. The device also has SDI embedded audio input/output.

I had a look a Blackmagic's website but got lost in the myriad of products they have.

A cost-effecting solution would be appreciated.

cheers
Steve

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video monitoring/vtr control device for FCP 7
on Mar 23, 2017 at 6:04:24 pm

AJA was the only company that made an external device that connected via Firewire. Blackmagic Design has USB options, but you either need a PC for the older ones, or a later Mac with USB 3.

Looking on eBay I see that you can get a replacement AJA IO/HD for $200-$300...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Coulson
Re: Video monitoring/vtr control device for FCP 7
on Mar 24, 2017 at 8:14:08 am

Dear Shane: Thanks very much for the quick reply. I was thinking the same thing of the Black Magic solution-it didn't appear to have a firewire connection-and my Mac does not have USB 3.0. My next stop is ebay baby!

Thanks again
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]