FORUMS: list search recent posts

missing clip from Canon 70D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
missing clip from Canon 70D
on Jul 26, 2014 at 1:59:26 am

Please let me know if there's a better forum for me to post this question. We edit on FCP7. We're editing footage shot on a Canon 70D and loaded to the external drive connected to the suite. There's a clip that either got shortened from what it originally was or was omitted altogether. We have another camera rolling on our cinematographer when she was shooting this clip. You can her filming during the scene in question yet there is no footage from her camera from that scene. What is more unusual is that the files from the card she was using both before and after this clip are in chronologically ascending order implying that all clips were uploaded and shot in order. Yet one is clearly missing. I am trying to find an explanation as to how this happens and if there is anything that could be done to recover a file that looks like it was never there in the first place (even though it was).

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: missing clip from Canon 70D
on Jul 26, 2014 at 7:11:29 am

Perhaps they didn't press the record button, and thought they did. Because if you have a clip called MVI_233 and then the next is MVI_234...but the missing footage is in between those numbers...then the camera op didn't press record. The cameras don't make an MVI_233b or other sub number...it just goes to the next number.

If you had MVI_233 and then MVI_235...and 234 was missing, then I'd suspect either it wasn't copied from the camera (copying on the finder level sometimes skips clips, thus why I use ShotPut Pro do copy, it varifies file names on source and offload locations) or it was deleted accidentally, or some corruption happened. But if there are sequential numbers, and footage is missing...then that points at camera op error.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Jul 26, 2014 at 6:30:05 pm

Thank you Shane, I appreciate it

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:42:24 pm

When I suggested to my shooter that perhaps she double-clicked, here was her follow-up question:

"It is possible but I think it is a bit unlikely. Only because this same thing happened to me one time when I was filming and I was sure I didn’t double click and there was still part of the footage missing. The way the footage cuts in and out makes it seem unlikely that it was double clicked too. I am sure most people on creative cow will say that is what it is but I have a feeling something else is going on and wondering if anyone else has been able to explain a similar experience."

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:47:50 pm

I can't offer any suggestion. If one clip is called MVI_289 and the next one is MVI_290...and the missing footage takes place between those numbers...the only logical reason I can come up with is misfire.

Ask this question on the Canon DSLR forums....they might have better clues.

http://forums.creativecow.net/canonmarkii

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rodney Edwards
on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:19:51 pm

Just to clarify, you have checked all your clips? i only ask as i have had similar experiances with P2 footage where the card reads say 12 clips but upon transfer FCP has consolidated short clips, or i have noticed it will even ignore the ingest of super short clips such as the accidental double tap of the record.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]