FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions to Make a Scrolling Series of Photos as a Self-start Looping video on a Website?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
Suggestions to Make a Scrolling Series of Photos as a Self-start Looping video on a Website?
on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:30:07 am

I would like to have a series of photos scroll across a website that appear like a sequence of still photos (as if they are old-style film passing into a projector). I would like the video to self-start and loop as well, so the sequence doesn't have to end. I have been trying to do this with a long Photoshop image however it just gets very blurry or interlaced (even with a de-interlace filter). I tried it with separate TIFF images but lining 50 images up and making them scroll as if connected seemed like a mathematical or technical nightmare.
Any suggestions?
Dan

I am using FCP 7.0.4. The finished video segment that is visible is 850px wide x 122px tall (like 5 frames of film in a line---even with the projector gear holes top and bottom of the images as they scroll by)

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Suggestions to Make a Scrolling Series of Photos as a Self-start Looping video on a Website?
on Jul 25, 2014 at 4:50:27 pm

Don't use FCP. Use Motion. Or After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Suggestions to Make a Scrolling Series of Photos as a Self-start Looping video on a Website?
on Jul 25, 2014 at 7:59:24 pm

Just to be clear, are you trying to make this look like motion picture film coming thru the gate of a projector/viewer... or are you imitating the old "film strip" technology they used to use in schools, which was more like using slides, only it was a strip of film that was advanced a frame at a time, often manually synched to an audio tone or beep, as part of a separate sound track on record or cassette?

Are you trying for something that looks like early Muybridge stuff? or like a view thru the screen of a KEM or Moviola film editing machine?

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Jul 26, 2014 at 12:09:07 am

"motion picture film coming thru the gate of a projector/viewer." This---this is what I'm trying to do. No Muybridge old effect----just have a feature that shows I am in film/video---and the old film rolling across the website with single photos showing different examples of my work would demonstrate that in a "kitchy" way.

There is an embed code below (one is the embed and the other a link) that is supposed to correspond to an image example. I hope it shows up when I post this. It is of 5 still images however, think of it being perhaps 30-40 images connected side by side moving across the website like the frames of film as it unrolls from the spool into the projector.
Thanks for your interest to help, gents/folks.
Dan

screenshot2014-07-25at6.59.38pm.png

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:23:11 am
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:23:48 am

So something like this?

http://www.motionvfx.com/store,after_effects_cs4_-_ae_project_0152,p1278.ht...

or this?

http://www.motionvfx.com/store,after_effects_cs4_-_ae_project_0153,p1281.ht...

or

http://www.motionvfx.com/store,project_326,p678.html

or

http://www.motionvfx.com/store,after_effects_cs4_-_ae_project_0121,p1006.ht...

or

http://www.motionvfx.com/store,project_215,p489.html

?

If you really want it simple and exactly like your sample image, what I would do is create the effect in Apple Motion by creating a layer of just the blank film strip. I would delete the frame boundaries to leave only the edges with their sprocket holes. It is possible to make one section of this image move in a perfect loop on the base layer. Then you would use the particle emitter effect, fed by a folder of your sample stills, to "emit" the photos in singles or groups, along the same line as the film strip.

If I was stuck using just FCP7 to try and make this effect, I would keyframe the layer with the sprocket holes and copy/paste it to make as long a piece as needed.
Next I would do 2 or 3 layers of additional video tracks, keyframing the stills on alternating tracks to pass from offscreen right to offscreen left, in line with the sprocket track. One time saver there is, once you've keyframed one set, you can copy it, then paste the attributes and keyframes onto the next set, and not have to do it all from scratch more than one time.

Then I would export that project as a self-contained mov file, and your next step for the web, I *think* is to convert the MOV file to an animated .gif file, which can be set to repeat in an infinite loop in any web browser..

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Aug 1, 2014 at 8:45:53 am

Thanks folks for the help by providing a variety of detailed suggestions. I finally got it resolved--using web-building widgets suitable for the specific purpose. However, I did learn about the video looping process and GIFs, so it was a learning opportunity.
Again, thank you!
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]