FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crop zoom an angle in a multiclip (FCP 7)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Grant
Crop zoom an angle in a multiclip (FCP 7)
on Jul 23, 2014 at 10:09:27 pm

I'm an "advanced beginner" with FCP 7. I've searched this forum and can't seem to find my particular situation addressed...

I have a four-angle multiclip (a concert shoot, 1 hr. 50 min.) by itself in a sequence and want to crop zoom two of the four angles (same zoom amount throughout the multiclip--I framed too far out on each of those two cameras). I had not done any cutting between angles--or any other editing--yet in the multiclip.

So, in the Timeline I switched angles (now that was the active angle throughout the multiclip), selected it, and used this "crop zoom" technique to zoom in so the shot was framed closer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsHXBiWmCqI

Now the entire multiclip wanted rendering (red along the top) and every time the playhead was moving both the Viewer and Canvas showed blue, "Unrendered" (though when I paused playback I saw all four of my angles in the Viewer and the zoomed angle--still zoomed--in the Canvas). So fine, I rendered it all (5 hours on my '09 MBPro with its dinky Core Two Duo processor). Now the red is all gray and I can play and switch angles by clicking them in the Viewer. But the angle I zoomed is back to its original... the zoom is gone!

I'd have liked to zoom the clips themselves (outside of any sequence) and then put them in the multiclip, but it seems you can only apply this crop zoom technique to a clip when it's in a sequence.

I put a small piece (50 seconds) of one of the problem angles into a sequence by itself, crop zoomed it, and that "stuck"--stayed zoomed when I rolled playback. I exported it to YouTube format and it wound up looking way better than I thought it would, so I know this technique will get me the zoom I need without losing too much resolution for a YouTube video.

I'm now going to put the two clips each in its own separate sequence, crop zoom and render them there (5 hrs. each), and then see if I can create a 4-angle multiclip from those two sequences plus the other two clips... but I doubt that will work. Can you combine sequences to make a multiclip? Can you combine sequences and clips into a single multiclip?

Or am I going about this all wrong?

Final Cut Pro 7 "Advanced Beginner"

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Crop zoom an angle in a multiclip (FCP 7)
on Jul 24, 2014 at 6:44:41 am

"Or am I going about this all wrong?"

yeah, kinda... :)

multiclips dont hold effects through switching.
you have to add the motion effect to a clip the viewer,
or in the timeline, then copy / paste it into the browser (a new bin is useful)
then make the multiclip out of the effected clip.

then to not get a red render line, you need to switch FCP to "unlimited" RT playback.
you can do that in the small pull-down menu top left of the timeline, and in your user prefs.

you can't ad sequences to multiclips

nick

Return to posts index

Steve Grant
Re: Crop zoom an angle in a multiclip (FCP 7)
on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:30:47 pm
Last Edited By Steve Grant on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:02:23 pm

Nick... Thanks for your quick response. I'm still a little confused:

"multiclips dont hold effects through switching"... Do you mean that if I apply an effect (in this case, cut zoom) to a clip in a multiclip, that effect won't "hold"/"stick" as soon as I make a switch between angles?
(If this is what you mean, I did not encounter that when I applied color correction, but maybe that's a different kind of "effect" to which what you said doesn't apply.)

"you have to add the motion effect to a clip [in the] the viewer,
or in the timeline, then copy / paste it into the browser (a new bin is useful)"...

---I was able to perform the cut zoom to the clip itself (not in a Sequence) in the Viewer, so thanks for that! However, since I was a little afraid to mess with the original clip, I Copied and Pasted it in the Browser; now I had two identically-named clips ("RightFixed"). But when I tried to re-name them, it changed the name of both of them (I now had two clips, both named "RightFixed(crop)"! One had the crop zoom and the other didn't, but only by opening each in the Viewer could I see which was which... most inconvenient, but I can live with it. I changed them (both--no other choice) back to simply "RightFixed."

---"or in the timeline"... only way to do that is to do it when the clip's in a sequence, and since you can't make multiclips out of sequences, doing it in the Timeline won't help me in this case.

---"then copy / paste it into the browser (a new bin is useful)"... Huh? How do I Copy a clip from the Viewer into the Browser? And what's a "bin"?

Final Cut Pro 7 "Advanced Beginner"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]