FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony A7S and FCP 7 Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Hogan
Sony A7S and FCP 7 Workflow
on Jul 23, 2014 at 7:58:22 pm

Has anyone worked with media from the Sony A7S camera. Looking for some tips regarding post workflow and getting the media into FCP 7.

Import XML isn't working, it asks for a navigational file and gives us an error.

I have h264/mpeg4s of the footage which I'd rather not use since its a compressed codec that doesn't always get along with fcp.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony A7S and FCP 7 Workflow
on Jul 23, 2014 at 10:03:09 pm

Convert the footage to ProRes 422. You can do this with Compressor or MPEG STREAMCLIP...or BulletProof from Red Giant.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jamie Lee
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:01:07 pm

Thanks Shane!

I can't get the XML's to open in compressor or mpeg streamclip. Going to give Bulletproof a try.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 24, 2014 at 4:51:04 pm

XML isn't media...that's just metadata. It's the MP4 or H.264 Quicktime files that you need to convert.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 25, 2014 at 4:19:22 am

And if you need to re link to original media after edit, avoid using MPEG Streamclip. It strips out all original timecode and reel name.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Devinda Fernando
on Oct 29, 2015 at 5:50:16 am

*** avoid using MPEG Streamclip. ***

How about using iSkysoft Media Converter? Is that better than Mpeg Streamclip?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 29, 2015 at 6:50:20 am

EditReady is perfect for this format.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Hayes
on Aug 31, 2014 at 8:17:37 pm

Shane,

Bullet Proof won't export ProRes clips with footage from a7s. Does fine with clip from FS700?

I can see the a7s clip(s) in the BulletP window. I select them and EXPORT and get "This Export Had Errors" message.

Mark Hayes

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2014 at 5:46:03 pm

Bulletproof won't do this. EditReady from Divergentmedia.com will. Or you can use an editing app that works with it natively, like Adobe Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Hayes
on Sep 9, 2014 at 1:30:52 am

Shane,

EditReady worked great and it's fast.

You can work natively with the XAVC S codec in FCP X without transcoding, but not in FCP 7 as far as I know. Needed to hand the footage off to someone using FCP 7.

Thanks for the help.

Mark Hayes

Return to posts index

Giuseppe Mangione
on Sep 13, 2014 at 1:16:42 pm

We have a documentary to shoot this October in Italy and I have a similar problem.

The cameraman is coming from LA with the Sony A7s… It seems the perfect camera for the low light we will have in the cellars! This Doc is about wine and the people who make it.

Our editor is based in Chicago, and she will be editing with FCP7. So Before I sent her the drive I want to convert all the XAVC clips to ProRes.

Here in Italy, I have the updated FCPX. What do you think to use FCPX to transcode (selecting create optimized media when I import)? It seems pretty fast and reliable!

Considering the XAVC-S codec is at 50Mbps, which ProRes setting Should I use? ProRes 422, ProRes 422 HQ, or ProRes 422 LT?

Thanks
Giuseppe

Return to posts index

Rajiv Mudgal
on Nov 8, 2014 at 1:39:56 pm

Standard Prores works fine and grades well here

Return to posts index

cris cunningham
on Dec 26, 2015 at 1:47:40 am

I'm new with the Sony A7S ii and am a long time user of MPEG STREAMCLIP. Curious if anyone here knows why I'm getting a "File open error: unrecognized file type" on any of the mp4 files?

Thanks for any help.

Cris

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 26, 2015 at 5:44:53 am

I think development on MPEG STREAMCLIP is stalled, so it might not work with newer formats. EDITREADY by divergentmedia.com is a great solution, though.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Paul Coleman
on Aug 29, 2016 at 10:32:14 am

Maybe it's best to only post when you are sure of something. You started saying MPEG Streamclip would do it..it doesn't. (it is great but hasn't been updated for years) You suggested BP which also seems not to work and I can only imagine Compressor would struggle. Have you actually converted using the ones you suggest as it whittled down to Divergents offering. I have used Adobe Media Encoder successfully. Giving out information that is of no use, how ever well the intention is a waste of everyone's time.

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:47:06 am

Shane,

Camera: SONY ALPHA 7s 2

Here is a screenshot of the native footage played in VLC player.

Here is a screenshot of the footage after to converting to ProRes in EditReady. It seems to have a haze over it and the colors are not as saturated:

NOTE: click to enlarge the photos in a different browser tab. The larger the picture the more noticeable the difference. I noticed right away when I opened up the first clip in VLC.

Any idea why this is happening?

Best,

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Sep 6, 2016 at 11:18:33 am

I just converted to ProRes using Sony's Catalyst Browse software and the picture is better.

Native:

ProRes using Sony's Catalyst Browse software

AGAIN NOTE: click to enlarge the photos in a different browser tab. The larger the picture the more noticeable the difference.

Best,

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 6, 2016 at 5:16:44 pm

Sorry, I don't. I'm an editor, not a programmer. I don't know what goes on internally in the software. Both shots look like they need color correction anyway, and I always do that...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mike Woodworth
on Sep 6, 2016 at 5:30:35 pm

Hey Jim,

It's mike form divergent media (the makers of EditReady). We'd love to get our hands on a file to try to reproduce this internally. Can you email me at mike@divergentmedia.com?

mike

Return to posts index

Jim O'Brien
on Sep 7, 2016 at 8:50:42 am

Yes. Thank you! Will email you now.

Return to posts index

chris king
on Aug 28, 2014 at 1:27:13 am

When you wan to import the XAVC S videos from Sony A7S to Final Cut Pro 7 for editing the movies, you may find the high quality XAVC S files are not recognized by FCP.

The basic reason why we can't work Sony A7S XVAC S with Final Cut Pro is that XAVC S codec is a new one, and is not widely supported. To make the XAVC S compatible with FCP, the easy workaround is to convert XAVC S to ProRes MOV, which ensures best results when using in Final Cut Pro 7.

Return to posts index

John Hoare
on Nov 22, 2014 at 10:24:39 am
Last Edited By John Hoare on Dec 8, 2014 at 11:45:49 pm

Sharing some tests made Nov 2014, to create Prores from A7S's XAVC-S:

Brorsoft Video Encoder ($30) convert to MOVs (but Brorsoft strips out timecode, retains audio)
Resolve Lite (free) strips audio and timecode
Sony's new Catalyst Browse (free) retains audio and timecode, but v1.0 can only export one clip at a time.

And a note on A7S high frame rates:
The A7S records 25, 50 or 100fps (it calls this "100p" etc). At 100p only, the res drops to 1280x720. To check fps: click “DISP” on the back wheel: 25p means 25fps. 100p means 100fps.
To change frame rate, go to Menu, Camera, 2, Record Setting.
I can’t figure out how to get A7S to play back high fps clips at 25fps internally, ie to see what audience will see. (I’ve tried shooting 100p, changing to 25p, then playing back clip; no luck.)
Catalyst Browse will not export A7S 100fps clips as either Prores or XAVC. But will do 25p.
I had success with Brorsoft to get 50fps into fcp7 timeline:
Record A7S clip at 50fps
In Brorsoft, settings, framerate: set to 50 (60 is it’s maximum), and export clip as Prores
In FCP7, create 25fps sequence, and drag clip into it. BUT when FCP7 asks “change squence to clip’s settings”, click “No”.
Apply 50% speed to that clip.
Because Brorsoft only goes up to 60fps, this will not work for 100fps.

Return to posts index

abotte jeff
on Dec 10, 2014 at 7:01:43 am

The basic reason why we can't work Sony A7S XVAC S with Final Cut Pro is that XAVC S codec is a new one, and is not widely supported. To make the XAVC S compatible with FCP, the easy workaround is to convert XAVC S to ProRes MOV, which ensures best results when using in Final Cut Pro 7 or FCP X. UFUWare XAVC Converter for Mac is the solid tool to help users make the Sony A7S XAVC S compatible with FCP on Mac OS X.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:04:15 am

I suggest you try this video converter from pav. this one can output apple prores codec.And I like it because it support XAVC codec flawless.

Return to posts index

Sara Axelsson
on Dec 19, 2014 at 10:09:28 am

I have worked with A7S material and converted the material to Prores422 HQ with Media encoder.
At first I used Resolve but the audio was discarded (!).

However with Media Encoder everything went fine : )

Return to posts index

Enrique Del Rio
on Apr 5, 2015 at 6:49:43 pm

Now that resolve is at 11.3, has anybody transcoded successfully A7s' footage to prores?.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Samar Ali Warsi
on Sep 12, 2015 at 3:08:24 pm

Hi all,
I find it confusing why people are are using XAVC S in Sony A7S and not AVCHD. I I may be wrong hete but as far as I know XAVC S is not an intraframe codec.

I'm thinking of shooting an AD film on this camera and I would really appreciate it if someone can help me understand which is the best shooting format on A7S for HD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 13, 2015 at 7:50:24 am

XAVC-S is a far superior codec to AVCHD. AVCHD is very low end. 8-bit 4:2:0. XAVC-S can be 8 bit, or 10-bit, or 12 bit...depending on what setting you choose. And it can be 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or 4:4:4.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Diksha Sharma
on Jul 12, 2016 at 6:08:12 pm

Hi
I am editing a documentary shot on A7S on fcp7.
The director has used tentacle sync while shooting..so syncing in post is being done using tentacle sync software which also can transcode to pro res.
My question is this..
If i use pro res LT to edit how do i reconnect to native media later if fcp7 can't recognise it.

Do i then transcode all the rushes to HQ and reconnect to that? Won't it be a rather tedious process to transcode twice?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 12, 2016 at 8:22:35 pm

[Diksha Sharma] "If i use pro res LT to edit how do i reconnect to native media later if fcp7 can't recognise it."

What do you plan on using, software wise, to finish the show? Online? FCP 7? If so, they should transcode to ProRes HQ and you use that all the way through to the end. Plan on using something like Resolve? Well, how much metadata does Tentacle save, and include in the clips? Enough for Resolve to RELINK? Actually, what is the master footage, .MTS? Resolve doesn't work with .MTS, so that might be out.

You need to figure out what software you'll be using to finish, and what it is capable of doing. If it is FCP 7, then you need to export a high end ProRes file for FCP. If another, you need to do all sorts of testing to see what works, and what doesn't.

I've never heard of Tentacle, so I can't give specific advice.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

gabriella zalapi
FCP7 with Intel Core i5 and i7
on Aug 30, 2016 at 8:12:16 am

Hello!
I would like to buy the latest IMac, but i am afraid FCpro7 will not work on it. can anybody tell me??
the processor is Intel Core i5 and i7. thank you in advance!
gabriella

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 with Intel Core i5 and i7
on Aug 30, 2016 at 4:02:31 pm

It's the OS that will be the issue. The last fully supported OS for FCP 7 was 10.6.8. Any OS beyond that risks stuff not working. I do know that FCP 7 will work on 10.9.5....and 10.10, and some report success with 10.11. Just know it won't be fully functional...some things might not work, because again, the OS wasn't designed to remain compatible with that version.

I do know that Compressor, Motion, and QMASTER all stop working in 10.9.5 and beyond. So really the only apps you can run are DVD STUDIO PRO, FCP and Cinema Tools.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

gabriella zalapi
Re: FCP7 with Intel Core i5 and i7
on Sep 1, 2016 at 7:01:22 am

Thank you very much for your helpfull answer!
have a nice day
gabriella

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]