FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frustrating chroma key problem ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian johnston
Frustrating chroma key problem ...
on Jul 22, 2014 at 4:00:49 pm

I'm sure there is a simple explanation for this, but I'm using the chroma key feature for the first time and when I choose the eyedropper and select the green area of the screen nothing happens. I can see where it appears to be outlined, but it doesn't drop out at all. I've watched numbers tutorials on youtube and have followed every step. I also searched the forums, but didn't find anyone with the same problem. Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Frustrating chroma key problem ...
on Jul 22, 2014 at 6:55:23 pm

The clip you're working on must be selected and highlighted first, before you try to apply the keyer. And do you have the track to be keyed, on a track above the first track, with something for the replacement background on the track below?

Is the keyer set to show "final composite"?

Finally, if working in fcp7, are you using a codec that FCP7 was designed to handle, or are you playing with imported mpeg 4 or something?

Return to posts index

brian johnston
on Jul 22, 2014 at 7:11:09 pm

Oddly enough, the problem seems to be that I had the green screen lit too bright. When I killed the lights on the green wall, the eye dropper worked.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:28:45 pm

In my experience, the best way to light for a green screen key is to look at the scopes and have the green or blue at around 70 to 80 IRE units. The brightest thing should be the highlights on your talent. Light the screen first, use the zebra bars of your camera to help light it evenly all the way across and top to bottom. Then light the talent separately.

Brightness as you found out is not the answer: you're looking for well-saturated, FLAT and EVEN color. The key takes its cue from pixels based on color, not relative brightness. Brightness is what LUMINANCE or "luma" keying works with

Glad you're okay now.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:25:58 pm

I run my chroma green levels at 40-50% on the scope. Less problems in post and less light to bounce back onto the subject.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]