FORUMS: list search recent posts

External audio slipping out of sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris Jepson
External audio slipping out of sync
on Jul 21, 2014 at 4:54:30 pm

I've looked through many posts on this but haven't been able to find a solution, so wondering whether someone might be able and willing to assist me!

I've recorded a lecture with a Panasonic HDC-TM10, which uses AVCHD, and then (with the aid of these forums!) imported it into FCP7 with Log and Transfer using the Apple ProRes 422 (LT) - all well and good so far. Once I imported it, I've dragged it into a sequence and clicked yes for the sequence settings to match the clip.

I also used a line out of the sound system to record audio with Audacity, and exported that with the settings that the camera's audio show in FCP - 48kz, 16 bit - then used PluralEyes to sync it up. Here is the issue.

It matches at the beginning perfectly, but as it continues the two audio feeds go drastically out of sync - more than 10 seconds by the end of the 75 minute lecture. I've seen that this is a common problem and have tried all the solutions I can find (or perhaps better put, understand), but at this stage nothing has worked. If anyone could shed any light on this then I would be eternally grateful...

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: External audio slipping out of sync
on Jul 21, 2014 at 7:36:38 pm

What is the setting on the time code, drop, or non-drop?

Return to posts index

Boris Jepson
on Jul 21, 2014 at 10:53:05 pm

non-drop (presuming that's through the Timeline Options tab - it's greyed out so I wouldn't be able to select it even)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 23, 2014 at 1:23:02 am

Check that the audio frame rate and the picture frame rate are identical. The most common problem is that the Easy Setup had a different frame rate to your sequence when the audio was imported as a wav file. FCP helpfully stamps the frame rate of the Easy Setup NOT the sequence. A 'feature' that has become one of the biggest bugs.

If the frame rates don't match then that is causing the drift. If that is the problem for you, then download Wave Agent from Sound Devices (free software) and use it to change the frame rate stamped in the file to match you footage EXACTLY.

If it isn't the cause then you can go back to Audacity and try exporting with a varispeed that will correct the drift. or Apply a varispeed to the audio in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]