FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upload reference file to Vimeo - possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Cannon
Upload reference file to Vimeo - possible?
on Jul 21, 2014 at 12:19:23 pm

Hello,

Vimeo's FAQs are unclear about the ability to upload a reference, vs. self-contained, file. They only say that reference files can cause problems when they are smaller than Vimeo's minimum size requirement. However, I imagine that other people who upload very long videos (feature film length) would have experimented with the time-saving benefits of using a reference file to burn/upload etc. I've been having some upload fails with my reference file, but I was hoping someone could tell me whether or not to rule out the reference file being the cause for Vimeo problems. It could be something else - and exporting a self-contained file is going to drain the same amount of time, alone. So... thought I'd come on here to ask while I twiddle my thumbs over the endless rainbow upload bar.

Thanks,

L

Return to posts index

Dave Farrants
Re: Upload reference file to Vimeo - possible?
on Jul 21, 2014 at 1:26:29 pm

Reference files cannot be used for Vimeo, what do you expect the reference file to 'reference' if uploaded to Vimeo without the data files? A reference file 'references' the data files on YOUR video storage drive only, for example, if you create a reference video from video data files on your 'drive A' then disconnect drive A from your computer your reference file will not play.

Web - http://www.foxvideo.co.uk
Blog - http://foxvidpro.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to posts index

Lisa Cannon
on Jul 23, 2014 at 2:15:14 am

I know what a reference file is. I expected/hoped that Vimeo could pull the media from the drive as the ref file pointed Vimeo in that direction. Thanks for your response though. Let's hope that web uploading allows for this in the future!

(If anyone knows if this is actually possible, please let me know.) :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 21, 2014 at 11:21:21 pm

Reference files are smaller ONLY because they're audio files that contain a bunch of pointers to the files from which they were created. No audio? It's a file just made up of pointers. And if you move that reference file to a different location, the pointers won't point to those files anymore. That's why using reference files is a crap shoot at best.

Speed difference between self-contained and reference? Negligible, if any.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lisa Cannon
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:56:41 am

Hi Dave,

What do you mean speed? I use ref files for export speed when I need to burn a new DVD from a project file.

L

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 23, 2014 at 10:37:49 pm

Exporting a filoe for DVD is no faster whether using a reference or self-contained file, and having a self-contained file is a lot safer for reasons enumerated above.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]