FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old FCP4 project to Premiere Pro CS6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Angle
Old FCP4 project to Premiere Pro CS6
on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:32:47 pm
Last Edited By Richard Angle on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:35:41 pm

Hi all. First off, is it possible to open an old FCP4 project in FCP7? I'm ultimately looking to import an old FCP version 4 project in FCP7 and export/convert to whatever is needed to then import into Premiere Pro CS6. Will be recapturing into Premiere Pro CS6 from very old mini dv tapes if this is at all possible.

The kicker? The FCP4 project file lives on a very old dead scsi harddrive. If I find out the above is possible, I will start looking into data recovery options.

Another possible snag is that the FCP project was done on MAC and the Premiere conform would likely be done on a PC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard Angle

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Old FCP4 project to Premiere Pro CS6
on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:42:27 pm

[Richard Angle] "Hi all. First off, is it possible to open an old FCP4 project in FCP7?"

Yes. It might say that the file needs to be updated, but it'll open fine.

SCSI DRIVE? Good luck finding a way to connect that to anything...wow. Might need to use an older computer that it will connect to, and then transfer the footage to...hmmm...a current drive that cannot connect to the older computer. I've been in this pickle before...

I suggest recapturing the footage. Either in FCP 7, or hopefully the XML will transfer enough of the footage metadata to allow recapture in CS6. Mac to PC conversion won't matter.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Jul 20, 2014 at 9:08:47 pm

Thanks Shane. So its good to know that if the project data file is recoverable, then the project should be possible to resurrect into Premiere on a PC.

Just to clarify, the drive is not only a SCSI, but a super dead SCSI. So plugging into an old G4 MAC really isn't an option. But perhaps a data recovery service could salvage the project file and I could do a re-capture. The originally captured footage data is long gone on as it is on a secondary media drive that is also dead. But a recapture from tape shouldn't really be an issue here. All I would need from the old system is the single .fcp project data file for the conversion and conform, correct?

Can you foresee any issues with the following path...
- Recovery of FCP4 project data file from damaged SCSI drive
- Open FCP 4 data file in FCP 7
- Export offline project to whatever is necessary to convert to the Premiere Pro CS6 file (XML?)
- Convert to Premiere Pro CS6 project file
- Batch capture old mini dvd footage into Premiere Pro and get back to chopping a long-neglected decade old project

Do you happen to know what is needed to do the conversion to Premiere? And is it an XML file from FCP7 that is needed as the source?

Thanks,
Richard

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:38:38 am

[Richard Angle] "Do you happen to know what is needed to do the conversion to Premiere? And is it an XML file from FCP7 that is needed as the source?"

It's just a XML file. Premiere Pro reads FCP7 XML....nothing special about it. In FCP7 just use a File/Export/XML and then import that XML into Premiere. It's really that easy! :-)

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:40:35 am

Thanks, Ryan. Just never done it before. Just covering my tracks before taking a dead drive into data recovery services.

Thanks,
Richard Angle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]