FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS to Pro Res 422 HQ or Proxy? "What difference does it make?" said Morissey and Me

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim McSpadden
VHS to Pro Res 422 HQ or Proxy? "What difference does it make?" said Morissey and Me
on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:05:31 pm

Via my Panasonic VHS AG-7650 (with TBC) to an AJA HD10AVA to an AJA iOexpress... I am capturing within my Final Cut Pro 7 (NLE running on a MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4) a lot of VHS at 525i & 29.97 ... and I'm trying to decide to either capture it into Pro Res 422 HQ or Pro Res Proxy.... But what difference would it make..? I plan on doing some color correction with my little Magic Bullet plug-ins to the images after editing... so I always ASSumed more Pro Res 422 HQ info the better... but with VHS am I just really only sucking up more hard drive space and not gaining anything...? My end game would be online distribution for the most part... and maybe some DVDs or Blu-Rays.... It is a personal project of baby & family movies, so I have a vested interest in preserving and making it good... but I'm wondering if Proxy is just good enough for that 640x480 image -- any thoughts on capturing..? Have any better ideas on sequence settings or codecs..? I've got like 80 VHS tapes at 2 hours plus to archive...

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: VHS to Pro Res 422 HQ or Proxy? "What difference does it make?" said Morissey and Me
on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:11:29 pm

How about using ProRes LT? Good quality and smaller files.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: VHS to Pro Res 422 HQ or Proxy? "What difference does it make?" said Morissey and Me
on Jul 20, 2014 at 1:25:00 pm

Proxy really isn't good nough for a finished product
Use LT or 422,
The more post work you want to do the more you'll get out of the hight data rate

Btw, I've used neat video noise reduction plugin in FCP to clean up VHS source quite nicely.

Nick

Return to posts index

Tim McSpadden
on Jul 20, 2014 at 6:46:03 pm
Last Edited By Tim McSpadden on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:37:48 pm

Wow - okay folks I'm convinced! Looks like the only thing holding me back is drive space - Because of your advice I shall crank it up to a higher bit rate than just proxy. Thanks all for giving me a nudge. I do want to do more post work so I'm sure it'll help me more in the end...Thanks for the tip about the NEAT video reduction plug-in Nick Meyers! I shall check it out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]