FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing FCP 6 or 7 on OS 10.9

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Galli
Installing FCP 6 or 7 on OS 10.9
on Jul 18, 2014 at 11:44:25 pm

It's easy!

You can search our Jeremy Johnstone's blog for details, but here's the short version. Around about OS 10.7, Apple started putting a .plist file in that the Installer.app checks. That .plist file singles out programs Apple doesn't want you to install, most of which are elements of Final Cut Studio.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/Resources/PPCRequirements.plist

(Note that when you get to Installer.app, you will have to Control+click and select "Show Package Contents")

Now, you can edit that file to remove the FCP and QuickTime restrictions, and that works. Or you can simply drag the file into the Trash. The installer on your FCP disc will then run normally.

I've done this successfully on four iMacs running 10.9.4. And while I haven't hammered on one of them yet, all of the apps launch and operate.

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
Re: Installing FCP 6 or 7 on OS 10.9
on Jul 27, 2014 at 12:00:51 am

Wow, that's a good tip. I had to buy a Snow Leopard disk from Apple just for Rosetta. Took time and money.

Return to posts index

Matt Baird
on May 28, 2015 at 5:10:31 am

When you open the "PPCRequirements.plist" file, do you just delete the part of the code where it says "Final Cut Pro"? I'm assuming the part in your post where say to "drag the file to the trash" your referring to the whole "PPCRequirements.plist" file, correct?

Thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

Jim Bruce
on May 19, 2016 at 7:16:24 am

Hi Tom,

I saw your post from several years back with the great trick for installing FCP 7 on iMacs running 10.9.4 - just curious how your experience using FCP 7 and other Final Cut Studio apps (particularly Compressor) has gone.

I've heard Compressor doesn't work with 10.9 - also horror stories about audio sync issues.

Up to now I've stuck with old systems running FCP 7 and 10.6 which is a smooth combination.

Am considering a refurbished iMac that will enable me to upgrade to Thunderbolt Storage - the catch is the system would come with 10.9.5 installed so I'm wary of compatibility issues when installing and using with that OS.

Would love to hear your experience.

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on May 21, 2016 at 2:25:20 am

Aloha Jim,

There's not much I can tell you. I ended up migrating to the Adobe family of products. I did have a former student come and do some editing using FCP on 10.9 recently, and that seemed to go well.

I have authored a couple of DVDs using DVD Studio Pro on 10.9. It was rock solid. I don't recall if I used Media Encoder or Compressor to encode the video, though. If I were a betting man, I'd bet it was Media Encoder just because of the convenience from Premiere, but I'm not certain.

Sorry!
Tom G

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]