FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do i achieve a colour changing effect?-from b&w to colour

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maisie payne
how do i achieve a colour changing effect?-from b&w to colour
on Jul 16, 2014 at 7:34:24 pm

Hi,
I'm making a short film about a painter, and basically its going to begin in black and white and the painter will paint on colour e.g. a flower and it will change from b&w to colour in time with the brushstroke. i have no clue how to do this/if its possible/how difficult this is. please help me someone?! i have fcpx btw

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: how do i achieve a colour changing effect?-from b&w to colour
on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:46:10 pm

It's possible, but pretty difficult. This is something that you need to do in a compositing application, like After effects. A lot of masking and rotoscoping work to reveal each stroke. I'm sure if you hire a competent AE artist, they could do it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: how do i achieve a colour changing effect?-from b&w to colour
on Jul 16, 2014 at 10:05:08 pm

You can do this in a limited way within FCPX (you should ask in FCPX forums for more detailed help instead of here), by using the color board controls and secondary color correction. WHat secondary color correction can do is let you limit an effect to a very specific color region on the screen, then you can do things like translate from B&W to real colors or any other colors you want. The trick to doing this is to have an original image where every item within the area of the effect has a very specific and different color in the first place, if you want to treat each item separately. If you don't need to be that precise, you can use multipoint masking tools int he timeline to mask out different areas of multiple, identical video tracks, all in a stack, then by varying transparency, you can get things to change as you ask, in larger sections.

larry Jordan does a specific demo of the color effect "often called the "Pleasantville effect" in his FCPX tutorials, and I think he has a demo of that section somewhere that you can see for free. But you're gonna have to do the detective work to locate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]