FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different frame rates, audio sync issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davide Marchesi
Different frame rates, audio sync issue
on Jul 11, 2014 at 10:25:51 am

Hello,

Without realising I've shot an interview with 2 cameras shooting at different frame rates (one was shooting at 25fps and the other at 23.976). The audio was recorded separately and will have to be synced to the video. I was thinking to use Compressor to convert the footage from 23.976 to 25fps (which is the internet standard here in Europe I believe), but maybe doing the opposing would give me better results. Would either of these options allow me to solve the syncing issue or am I overlooking some other problem?

I would really appreciate if anyone could confirm this in the light of your experience. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Different frame rates, audio sync issue
on Jul 11, 2014 at 10:36:13 pm

Well there is no internet standard but one of the frame rates will need to be converted so you can have sync. In Compressor you need to change frame rate without changing duration.

So the choice is whether 25 goes into 23.976 better than 23.976 goes into 25. Try both conversions and choose the best. Then make sure your FCP Easy setup is matching the finalised frame rate exactly BEFORE importing the audio. Easy setup and sequence setups must match or the imported audio will be assigned a frame rate based on the current Easy Setup and sync will drift. So get all the frame rate ducks in a row.

And please make sure whoever made the original camera mistake gets told the time, cost and bother this always causes.

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on Jul 13, 2014 at 9:20:05 am

Thanks Michael, I'll try both ways (23.976 to 25 and viceversa) and see what's best as you suggested.

What do you mean by "In Compressor you need to change frame rate without changing duration." ?
I thought that that's what Compressor would normally do when converting footage into a different frame rate. Are there special setting I need to be aware of?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 13, 2014 at 10:31:52 pm

Hi Davide, in Compressor it is possible to change the frame rate by slowing or speeding up the footage rather than a frame rate conversion. In checking settings make sure the speed is set to 100%.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]