on Jul 9, 2014 at 8:21:54 pm
Last Edited By Shitij Kohli on Jul 9, 2014 at 9:17:53 pm

Hello,

I have an iMac with following config.

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

I have been editing since last 1.5 years on the iMac, i use FCP 7...Until last 3-4 days everything was working smoothly but now i am having major difficulty with playing footage on my timeline (while playing it jerks, gets stuck...then starts again...& follows the same cycle).

When i make the output file MP4, MOV...the output file also plays Choppy & Jumpy...in each viewing the jumps are random (so there is no fixed place where jumps appear, but they do appear)...& the output is sure jumpy.

While editing, even a small change i do creates an Orange color line over the clip (& requires render, without which it doesnt play well, at all)....I think my memory usage (Application = 2560MB) exceeds & thats why Orange lines comes.

I have 500 GB of free space on my iMac. I have 4 external hard-discs connected to my Mac (All Segate plus with 3TB of data each...all the hard-disks are pretty full with less than 30GB of space left free).

I have also deleted the rendered files of all the projects which are not in use now....(had never done that for past 8-9 months)...still the issue remains.

I am editing Canon Mark 3 footage. As always, I have converted the Canon mov files (which were originally shot in H.264, 1920x1080, 25 fps) to Apple ProRes 422 using MPEG streamclip.

My preset for converting the files in MPEG Streamclip is as follows:

Compression: Apple ProRes 422
Quality: 100%
Frame Size: 1920x1080 (unscaled)
Frame Rate: left blank (should read the Canon preset frame rate of 25 fps)
Interlace Scaling - deselected

After batching all the files I imported them into Final Cut Pro. My sequence preset is Apple ProRes 422, 1920x1080, 25 p, 48 khz.

I am not sure where is the issue.

Why is the timeline not playing smoothly as it used to do?
Why is the final output (mp4, mov) jumpy?

Please help!!!

Thanks,
Shitij

PS: One more point, since the problem has occured, i have applied smoothcam to some clips & when i view them on timeline (after applying) they seem good...once i take out the final edit it looks very bad in the final movie (the whole clip looks disorientated)...this has never occurred before.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP 7 - Timeline & Output Video Jerky, Choppy, Getting Stuck
on Jul 9, 2014 at 9:23:35 pm

It sounds like your drives can't keep up with the bit rate of the footage. Where are you storing your files, and how are they connected to your computer?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shitij Kohli
on Jul 9, 2014 at 11:38:16 pm

Hello Dave,

Is this a Hardware issue or a Software issue?...by your answer it seems a Hardware issue.

I am storing my data in four Seagate 3TB external hard drives (the footage i am editing right now is on 2 Hard drives), all of them run on power & connected to my iMac USB ports....Since there are only four USB ports in iMac...i have attached a multi USB extension in one of the ports, so that i can connect pen drives, dongal etc on my imac.

Thanks,
Shitij

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 10, 2014 at 12:31:39 am

Ah, USB connections -- there's the problem. They're not even close to being fast enough for real-time playback of multiple ProRes streams. You would need at least firewire 800, and you may even have to configure a couple of the external drives as a RAID.

So why did it work before? Unknown: not enough information.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shitij Kohli
on Jul 10, 2014 at 6:10:54 am

Hello Dave,

Thanks for following my issue.
It has always worked with the current setup, with the same Hard-disks & never gave me any such issue....but i had always kept around 500GB-400GB free in each Hard disk to work smoothly.

Since last two months we have lot of footage coming in, & lot of payments pending :-) , so we hadn't purchased a new hard-disk & kept dumping data in the same ones...I have noticed that the Hard-disk i am presently working on has only 19GB free data.

So now i have just bought a new 2TB hard-disk today (Seagate, Expansion plus) & would make at-least 500GB free from all my connected Hard-disks....As from your answer, i think if i give enough free space it might come back to sanity.

I know i should ideally have a RAID setup, have LaCie & i am working towards that.

Thanks,
Shitij

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 10, 2014 at 7:58:32 am

Yes you need to always have at least 10% of the drive empty, preferably 15%.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]