FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD dvc Pro after getting final cut X (will that codec play on quicktime 7)?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Godwin
HD dvc Pro after getting final cut X (will that codec play on quicktime 7)?
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:09:22 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Okay so I have some footage I pulled from a documentary I helped make. We used final cut pro 7 and an HVX 200 for the project. now that the project is over I'm trying to bring the HD DVC Pro files that I filmed over to my mac.

As expected, I cannot play the files through quicktime, because I do not have final cut 7 thus dont have the needed codec to play the files.

I did however download a trial of final cut pro 10, which I had no problems bringing the files into, but I still cannot play the files I originally had with quicktime 7.

If I was to fully purchase final cut 10, will quicktime always play HD DVC Pro fils in the future that I may bring in? Like would quicktime automatically recognize that I now have that dvc hd pro codec?

I just wouldnt want to have to bring files over to final cut everytime I just simply what to click on the HD DVC PRO .movs and view them right away.

Thanks in advance!

Im not that smart when it comes to quicktime player and stuff

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: HD dvc Pro after getting final cut X (will that codec play on quicktime 7)?
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:37:15 pm

Do you have media files which have the FCP7 icon? If so highlight the file, choose "get info", then in the window where it says "open with Final Cut Pro, change that to "open with Quicktime 7" . The file will now have a Quicktime icon and should open normally.

Return to posts index

David Godwin
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:19:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback, but the icon already has the quicktime icon. It basically says when i try clicking on the files that i need a certain component for it to play.

I know it needs the HD DVC Pro codec component which I know FCP 7 comes with. We had used fcp 7 when pulling the footage from the HVX 200. I had no problems opening the files in quicktime on that particular computer we used with FCP 7.

So basically the computer we used for the project could open HD DVC PRO files through quicktime without even opening FCP 7.

I want that to be the case with my personal mac, which as of right now only has the trial version of FCP 10.

I just want to be able to view HD DVC PRo footage without having to go through FCP 10 the whole time. I'm wondering if I can't view through quicktime because I only have the trial version of FCP X and that the particular component that quicktime needs didn't come with the trial version?

I know I could probably export all files as Apple Pro Res 422 or something so quicktime can read it, but for future reference I would like to know a way around that.

I hope this makes sense...

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:46:20 pm

Do you have Quicktime 7 or Quicktime 10?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:04:58 pm

You will be required to have some Final Cut Studio app in order to see the DVCPRO HD files. IF not FCP, then Compressor. Buy Compressor for $50 and you should be able to see the files.

I highly suggest that you then convert those files to a more universal format, like ProRes 422

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:18:28 pm

Shane, I'm curious to know why you say that. I can open DVCproHD files in Quicktime 7, Mpeg streamclip too. Having said that the files are from a Focus FS100 but even so, if David's files have come from FCP7 they should open in Quicktime, or am I missing something.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:50:00 pm

[Roger Poole] " the files are from a Focus FS100 but even so"

Ah...that might be different than what FCP does, then. I've never dealt with Focus files...but I have TONS of experience with P2 logged and transferred via FCP...and you need FCP or Compressor or Motion on your computer to get the decoder for that codec.

And David, since FCX isn't based on Quicktime...it's based on AV Foundation, it might not have the same things. Not sure...I don't use FCX. Ask over in the FCX Techniques forum.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:40:49 pm

Thanks for the insight Shane, The Focus records in Quicktime but what you have said makes sense. If David's files are the original P2 files then that is where the problem is. David, you said you pulled the files from an FCP7 edit, hence my confusion but you do say they are QT files?
As a first port of call you could download QT 7 and try that. It has to be the correct version, 7.6.6 and it will install to your Utilities folder because QT10 is already in Applications. QT7 is good to have anyway because QT10 doesn't have much in the way of usefulness.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl923

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:54:54 pm

[Roger Poole] "you said you pulled the files from an FCP7 edit, hence my confusion but you do say they are QT files?"

P2 cameras shoot MXF files...and FCP log and transfers them to QT. Doesn't convert...just re-wraps the files from MXF to QT.

[Roger Poole] "As a first port of call you could download QT 7 and try that."

Just the basic QT 7 won't enable computers to read this format. This was an issue back when P2 first came out too. Even if you have QT Pro...you can't view the files. Only if you have FCP or some other studio app did the decoder get installed.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:31:46 pm

Point taken, but the files were "pulled from an FCP7 edit" and so should be QT's and not MXF. Hence the QT7 suggestion.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:40:18 pm

I know...FCP 7 only works with QT files...it doesn't edit MXF native unless you have a plugin. Just saying that if the files were converted to QT using FCP...those files can ONLY be seen on systems with FCP installed. Thus the reason to keep the original P2 card (ANY tapeless media) backups...because FCP 7 is not gone...so reading those files is tricky.

If you have the original P2 cards, you can re-import into your current NLE.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

David Godwin
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:00:05 pm

yea I know I needed a FCP app. just a little curious as how i couldnt open them when I downloaded the fcp 10 trial. I guess maybe im expecting too much out of my trial FCP 10. maybe when I purchase it it will work.

Just wanted to get some insight before I buy new software. I'm going to buy compressor anyway so it will work eventually.

Thanks for all the info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]