FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best shooting file type for FCP7 considering 5 hour finished product. Quality not as important as fastest workflow.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Buchbinder
Best shooting file type for FCP7 considering 5 hour finished product. Quality not as important as fastest workflow.
on Jul 4, 2014 at 5:28:45 pm

Hi,

I'm faced with a project where I will be shooting about 5 1/2 hours of footage in a day, need to make minor edits, and then compress the 5 hour edited version to a flash drive. Since it's for just documenting purposes, the video doesn't need to be at the highest quality. I've been told 1280 x 720 is fine.

I will be doing this 40 times over the next 3 months so I'm trying to streamline the process.

What's the most efficient workflow? I'd love to avoid some sort of file conversion to get the footage into FCP as it will be over 5 hours of footage each time.

I was thinking about an Atomos or some portable device that records right to prores but I don't want to carry that around since much of the 5 1/2 hours of shooting is handheld.

Also, what's the quickest way and best file type to take a 5 hour video and compress for viewing on both a mac and PC?

Thanks for any guidance!

Tom

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best shooting file type for FCP7 considering 5 hour finished product. Quality not as important as fastest workflow.
on Jul 4, 2014 at 6:20:49 pm

If speed if your goal...then either don't edit with FCP, or use a device that can record to an FCP codec. It'll have to be a large one to get 5.5 hours of ProRes on it.

For fastest editing, Premiere Pro will edit native, as will FCX...so you might need to give them a look. Both have 30 day demos.

Best file type? H.264 MP4 file.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tom Buchbinder
Re: Best shooting file type for FCP7 considering 5 hour finished product. Quality not as important as fastest workflow.
on Jul 5, 2014 at 2:59:17 pm

Thanks for the help Shane.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit a guy who says he records with a simple consumer handycam that records on SD cards (must be Class 10) that goes into FCP 7 with no transcoding. Does that sound possible?

Regardless I think I need to upgrade even if just to make the 5 hour H.264 MP4 file and/or 5 hour .wmv file at the end. Right now I work mostly on a 2009 macbook pro.

Trying to decide between a new fast PC with Adobe Premier CS6 or a new (expensive) power mac running Premier CS6 or FCP X.

Any thoughts there?

Thanks again for any help out there!

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]