FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow between FCP 7 and After effects for colour correction

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Margarita kouvatsou
Workflow between FCP 7 and After effects for colour correction
on Jul 1, 2014 at 2:47:19 pm

I have an edited sequence shot with a canon 7d in prores 422 format in FCP 7
I need to do colour correction in after effects but since the project is 30 minutes long i have decided to divide the edit into 3 major parts, export separate XMLS with automatic duck to do colour correction in AE and bring it back to FCP for reassembly.

When i export on Prores and reimport in FCP then the programme performs some kind of automatic gamma correction which results to different colours than I have on my AE timeline. I tried exporting in the animation codec which gives me much less colour shift but that is too heavy to reimport into FCP.

I have the following questions:
1) What would be the most suitable setting in AE to make sure that what I see in the timeline and what I export are the same colour
2) which settings should i use to bound the clip between AE and FCp without having any automatic gamma compensation?

The final output for the project is Youtube/ vimeo.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Workflow between FCP 7 and After effects for colour correction
on Jul 2, 2014 at 1:26:56 am

The obvious question is what codec are you using in AE. What are the rendered files? How are you monitoring the timeline in both FCP and AE becasue using t a computer screen will never give you accurate colour between the two programs. Is AE set up to work in Rec 709 with gamma of 2.2?

Also any reason not to have graded with the simple round tripping to Color which is part of the FC Suite? Or da Vinci Resolve? I use nboth and do not have gamma issues. I have also round tripped files to Pr and Ae without issues so it is likely a codec or setting issue with Ae

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]