FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for loading and renaming AF100 AVCHD clips in FCP7 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Workflow for loading and renaming AF100 AVCHD clips in FCP7 ?
on Jun 30, 2014 at 2:22:38 am

I'm going to start working a quick job loading some AF100 footage in FCP 7. The director mentioned that there was an issue with the way FCP 7 sees the clips during log and transfer and renames the master clips (and possibly the media?) to the arbitrary naming convention of "Clip 1," "Clip 2," etc. I'm not familiar with this footage but would like to know before I start what this is about and how to fix it. He said his previous AEs came up with a naming convention to fix this and (possibly?) used automator to batch rename the clips.

Anyone have a good, fool-proof workflow and idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Workflow for loading and renaming AF100 AVCHD clips in FCP7 ?
on Jun 30, 2014 at 3:39:03 am

FCP 7, in the Log and Transfer window...allows you to add a custom name. Lower right box, one of those tabs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 30, 2014 at 9:03:49 am

Is there a way to batch this? Like batch add a custom clip naming convention to the clip name in Log and Transfer?

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 30, 2014 at 9:14:18 am

And if one were to not use Log and Transfer rename clips, and did so manually within the master clip and in the scratch disk, would that break the meta data for an upres via l

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 30, 2014 at 4:59:12 pm

If you rename on the Finder level, FCP still knows where the clips are, and retains all the metadata. Can you do this in a batch? Sure...apps out there exist, like this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/renamer-batch-rename-many/id402286241?mt=12

Have I used it? No, sorry. I haven't used any software to rename QT files, so I cannot recommend one first hand.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:37:24 pm

So a clip could come in named 1111, it's loaded as ProRes LT, then it could be renamed in FCP in the master clip as 1234 and at the Finder level as 1234, and if I did a batch capture, the media would reconnect to the camera raw and the clips could be uprezed to ProRes from ProRes LT? Without a hitch? Sounds too good to be true since the camera raw would still maintain the 1111 number. And there might be multile clips named 1111.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 30, 2014 at 9:14:47 am

And if one were to not use Log and Transfer rename clips, and did so manually within the master clip in FCP and in the scratch disk, would that break the meta data for an upres via log and transfer?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 30, 2014 at 6:09:41 pm

Don't change it in FCP and then in the Finder. Do this...use a project to import the footage...separate project only to log and transfer the footage. Then rename in the finder, and simply import into a new project...the main one you are editing. in.

And do a test...test this out. This is how I figure things out. Import a handful of clips as ProRes Proxy via log and transfer. Rename in the Finder. bring into a new project....do a simple edit. Then media manage to "CREATE OFFLINE," and do a batch capture.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]