FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Media Manager to transfer feature documentary and getting many errors.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin McKinney
Using Media Manager to transfer feature documentary and getting many errors.
on Jun 30, 2014 at 12:46:13 am

I'm transferring a project to my editor through Finalcut 7 media manager. No success yet due to many errors including:

An unknown error occurred while trying to reconnect clip...... to the copied file

and

The attempt to Copy "......." to Field Drive failed with an error code of 20. You may retry this operation, skip this file (an offline file will be created in its place), or abort the operation entirely

and

The following error was found during the processing of your media files by Media Manager. File Error: Unknown file.

The "unknown errors" are the most numerous and center around mostly png files that are woven deeply into the film. Second in frequency are h.264 files, composite shots, wav files, and files that were transferred from other sequences.

Thank you in advance! I need to get this to my editor ASAP. Please post questions.

Kevin McKinney
http:kevinmckinney.org

Mac tower, system 10.6.7 with many esata drives holding prorez files from finalcut.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Using Media Manager to transfer feature documentary and getting many errors.
on Jun 30, 2014 at 4:03:42 am

What is the codec of all this footage?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kevin McKinney
Re: Using Media Manager to transfer feature documentary and getting many errors.
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:16:56 pm

This project started in 2003 so the codecs are as follows: DVCAM, DVCpro HDV, AVCHD, Mpeg4, (5D), plus some H.264 web movies converted to normal prores.

The files that are listed as "unknown errors" seem fine.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:24:56 pm

Just want to know all the codecs as they are used in FCP. So if you converted MP4 and H.264 to ProRes, don't say "MP4 and H.264." Say ProRes. FCP doesn't like non-fcp codecs, so if there are H.264 and MP4 still in the cut AS H.264 and MP4....that might be an issue.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kevin McKinney
on Jun 30, 2014 at 11:09:36 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

In the browser under the "compressor" listing I have files that are H.264, Apple Pro Rex 422, HDV 1080i60, PNG, TIFF, Apple Prores 444, Motion Codec Decompressor, DVCPRO HD 720p60, Photo - JPEG, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), DV/DVCPRO -NTSC,

I'm pretty sure I removed all the "Motion Codec Decompressor" from the sequence because it slowed my machine down wayyyy too much.

Is there a way to get a listing of only the files in the timeline? I probably have a 80:1 ratio of footage in my browser, possibly higher.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 30, 2014 at 11:39:00 pm

[Kevin McKinney] "Is there a way to get a listing of only the files in the timeline?"

Well, yes, export an EDL....export an XML and use something called Sequence Clip reporter. But then you'll need to match that and search all of your files for the ones on those lists to find out what is what codec. And I can't see any way to show all the clips in a sequence, like a feature that Avid has called "Show media relatives."

PNG and TIFF are fine...those are stills, and media manager deals with those fine. H.264, Motion Codec, Photo JPEG...those are the problematic ones. You'll have to locate and convert all of those files to FCP codec, like ProRes. This is normally something you do before you edit, because FCP doesn't deal well with non-FCP codecs (as you are discovering).

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 1, 2014 at 6:30:26 pm

"Is there a way to get a listing of only the files in the timeline? I probably have a 80:1 ratio of footage in my browser, possibly higher."

Select everything in the timeline and drag to an empty bin. Sort the bin by compressor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]