FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will C300 AF100 or DSLR ProRes LT footage have to be uprezed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Will C300 AF100 or DSLR ProRes LT footage have to be uprezed
on Jun 28, 2014 at 2:12:30 am

Doing a quick AE job in FCP 7 after being in Avid land for a while.

Spoke with the company and they said they already started transcoding C300, AF100, and DSLR footage to ProRes LT. I'm under the impression the LT files are more compressed and slightly less quality than these camera's native compressions. They didn't mention anything about doing any uprezzing, but I reckon this footage should be transcoded at ProRes 422. Of course 422 HQ will not add anything to their footage.

Thoughts?

Also, the entirety of the master clips will have to be re-transcoded at 422, correct? Or can this be done with a Batch operation (done this with tape and DSLR but don't recall if the C300 and AVCHD structure allows for this).

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Will C300 AF100 or DSLR ProRes LT footage have to be uprezed
on Jun 28, 2014 at 5:01:51 am

ProRes LT is fine...it's a tad lighter than ProRes 422, but it is a finishing codec. It's what I recommend to those who shoot AVCHD or DSLR and who want to maximize space, but not suffer on quality too much.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 28, 2014 at 1:18:51 pm

Really? Not according to this layout. It seems ProRes LT is lesser quality than just 422. I've always been under this impression assisting editors. For DSLR maybe there's not much of a difference, but there has to be for C300 and AF100 material?

http://www.larryjordan.biz/picking-the-right-version-of-prores/

"ProRes 422: This is the format I recommend for anyone shooting DSLR, HDV, AVCHD, XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, AVCAM, or P2. Great image quality, with file sizes 30-35% smaller than ProRes 422 HQ. Since the DSLR images start as H.264, which is already quite compressed, ProRes 422 most closely matches the original image quality.

ProRes 422 LT: This is the format to use if you have tons of footage, need to edit using smaller (i.e. less storage space) hard drives, or are going to go thru an off-line to on-line process."

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 28, 2014 at 1:35:51 pm

Well, I just read this post about the AF100 color space. I had no idea it wasn't 422! And DSLR I can understand is okay at LT.
http://www.thefilmmakersworkshop.com/movie-cameras/panasonics-ag-af100/

But I know the C300 is natively 422. So there has to be some degradation on the image, right?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 28, 2014 at 3:00:19 pm

Yes, it is lower quality that ProRes 422. But it is still a mastering format...still a "full res" codec.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 30, 2014 at 7:50:29 am

Hi again Shane. Sounds like the company had planned for an upres to ProRes 422 from ProRes LT as an offline to online workflow. I just came across your tutorial on how to do this with log an transfer.
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1
I haven't had to do this with FCP7 before with log and transfer (just Avid). My initial question is, do you have to check that "delete unused media from duplicate items" box? I ask because if it so happens they need to go back to the cut or project I still want the company to have the complete ProRes LT media originally imported and readily accessible. And I'd like for the online upres seq to only include what is in the cut to log and transfer back in at ProRes 422 or HQ. Is my question clear? I don't want to delete anything just recapture what's in the current cut at ProRes422 or HQ.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:16:07 am

[Rosie Walunas] "Sounds like the company had planned for an upres to ProRes 422 from ProRes LT as an offline to online workflow."

Ah...OK then.

[Rosie Walunas] "My initial question is, do you have to check that "delete unused media from duplicate items" box?"

Yes...but give yourself 1-2 second handles. Unless you want to convert the full clip of every bit of footage used in the cut. That'll take 5-10 times longer, and take up that much more space. But if you have the time and space...and want to do it...go for it. I always just use handles...2 seconds max.

[Rosie Walunas] "I ask because if it so happens they need to go back to the cut or project I still want the company to have the complete ProRes LT media originally imported and readily accessible."

If they want to go back, then just keep the offline project and media until they are done done...delivered done.

[Rosie Walunas] "And I'd like for the online upres seq to only include what is in the cut to log and transfer back in at ProRes 422 or HQ. Is my question clear? I don't want to delete anything just recapture what's in the current cut at ProRes422 or HQ."

Nothing will be deleted. Nothing. What "delete unused media" means is "Make a sequence with clips that are only as long as the parts used in the sequence" and not "manage all the clips at full length." And you include handles to make sure that you have some nudge room on either side.

Then you Batch Capture and Log and Transfer will pop up and only capture what is needed.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 30, 2014 at 4:26:52 pm

Great thank you.

I'm concerned about the re-naming of the clips that the director wants - custom clip naming conventions like with the dates. I'm confused about how to do this to actually make sure the clips batch log and transfer from the camera raw media. It seems to make sense when you add the custom name in the Log and Transfer window, but they already loaded a bunch of clips that need a custom name, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

Exactly how should I go about renaming already loaded clips to insure they will reconnect to the camera raw clips on the field drives and batch log and transfer in for the upres?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]