FORUMS: list search recent posts

dpx workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cesar Mendonca
dpx workflow
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:15:41 am

Hi everyone,

I have a movie shot on 35mm which was scanned into dpx.
I need to convert it into an editable mov. format, do and offline edit and the reconnect the footage to the original dpx files so that the inline edit is made.
I can make the conversion to mov., but how does one reconnect the edit to the dpx files afterwards? What must I do for this to work?
Thanx in advance.

MEndonca

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: dpx workflow
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:32:10 pm

Are you SURE you want to use FCP for this project?

After all the effort you've already put into this, you want to cut in a five-year-old application that hasn't been supported for a couple of years?

Don't you think you could use something that can handle the task easier, like Premiere Pro?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cesar Mendonca
on Jun 29, 2014 at 8:40:39 pm

Hey David,

It wasnt my choice, I've been editing lately on Avid but the owner of the project asked me to do it in Final Cut.
Would it but much easier on Avid?
Thanx for the input!

MEndonca

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 29, 2014 at 11:44:21 pm

FCP7 is fine for a proxy workflow. The bigger question is whether the dpx files are the master or do you need to go back to the 35 mm film at any stage.

It is more important to speak to the post people who will be grading to make sure that your workflow is going to reconnect. Usually proxy quicktimes should have identical file names, timecode and reel number designations to the dpx files. If the workflow is xml then reel numbers might not matter but if EDL then they must. Depending on the grade tool (da Vinci, Baselight etc) there will be best workflows to make sure proxy to dpx reconnect is faultless.

There are lots of other issues like reframing, titles and VFX shots that will be complications so rather than take forum advice, get the workflow from the people who will be matching the edit to the dpx and doing the grade and finish.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]