FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with RED qt wrappers in fcp7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Moore
Working with RED qt wrappers in fcp7
on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:02:20 am

Hello all,

Just a quick question concerning RD3 files.

The goal is to get 1920 x 1080 Prores 422 (HQ) files to use in FCP7. I've done two tests:

1.) I could EXPORT using Red Cine X and make Prores 422 (HQ) files. This is time consuming and the footage exports with just a slight letterbox on the top and bottom of the frame.

2.) I could TRANSCODE the qt wrapped media. There are four varieties (F, H, M, P) and I took the highest quality one (F at 4096 x 2160), brought it into MPEG Streamclip and exported a 1920 x 1080 file. This method is much faster and does NOT include the letterbox.

Now, to my eyes, both 1920 x 1080 exports look exactly the same. Both methods produce the exact same size Prores file as well.

Only thing is, I'm not sure if I'm doing something terribly wrong. I've read that the qt wrapped files are just for viewing dailies, but it appears I've achieved what Red Cine X can do with MPEG Streamclip. And I'd prefer not to have that slight letterboxing anyway.

Could someone please advise? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Kyle

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Working with RED qt wrappers in fcp7
on Jun 25, 2014 at 11:36:36 pm

Masin difference is whether Streamclip is handling the timecode and file names the same way as RedcineX. If you are going to go back to the r3d files for grading or 4k finish then RedcineX is a proven workflow that maintains the correct meatada of name, reel and timecode which is important for reconnecting in da Vinci etc for grade & finish.

If the ProRes files are the master and you don't need to go back, then Streamclip is fine. It is also possible to use Log & Transfer which does maintain the metatdata for reconform but may be as slow as RedcineX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]