FORUMS: list search recent posts

Data Management Advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christine Herde
Data Management Advice
on Jun 22, 2014 at 11:35:13 pm

This is more of a data question, but the editing platform is FCP 7.

I'm basically coming in to an online/offline project that's been made a bit of a mess with data organization:

It's a multiple episode TV show that was edited in ProRes proxy but some of the proxies were made in mpeg streamclip, meaning that when it's time to online there's no timecode to link back to the source. I've made new proxies in compressor for the files that were stripped of timecode, but now I'm wondering the best way to go in and replace those proxies in FCP (we're not at picture lock so they need the right proxies before onlining)

I know already that we're going to have to re-cut at those parts, but I'm wondering if there's an efficient way to deal with the files that are missing original timecode. If I remove the original (timecode stripped) proxies from the folders that FCP is pointing to, it'll tell me that the media can't be found (therefore flagging the bad proxies within the sequence)- but wont be able to link to the new proxies at the appropriate ins and outs as the timecode will be different.

Also, multiple episodes point to the same bad proxies.

If anyone has thoughts on how to tackle this I would be super grateful.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Data Management Advice
on Jun 23, 2014 at 12:14:20 am

If proxie media was made with anything OTHER than FCP...then the only way to online is to reconvert all the footage used...full length clips...and relink. There's no way to batch capture only what is used in the cut. The only way to do that is to Log and Transfer within FCP...only then will FCP know where to look and what to do. The only viable offline/online workflows utilize FCP importing tools. Using outside, third party tools, and you need to convert the full clips to full res in order to relink.

And sorry, the only way to deal with the clips with the bad timecode is to do what is called "over-cutting," recutting the material by eye-matching it.

Sorry, your offline/online workflow won't be smooth. You'll have to have a lot of space and time to convert the full clips in order to relink.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]