FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes LT 24-bit audio Quicktimes sound fine in Quicktime Player but Pink Noise in FCP 7....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
ProRes LT 24-bit audio Quicktimes sound fine in Quicktime Player but Pink Noise in FCP 7....
on Jun 22, 2014 at 11:59:59 am

Hi,

I have been given ProRes LT files that play fine in Quicktime player. However, when I import the clips into FCP 7 (or Premiere CS6 or Avid Media Composer 7) the audio becomes pink noise. I have never encountered this before. Does anyone know how to fix it? The sequence settings in FCP7 were set to 24 bit audio as well.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
Re: ProRes LT 24-bit audio Quicktimes sound fine in Quicktime Player but Pink Noise in FCP 7....
on Jun 22, 2014 at 1:29:00 pm

One interesting thing is that if I open the quicktime in Quicktime Pro and then export a new quicktime, that will play fine when I bring it into Final Cut Pro. Obviously, this is not a great solution though, because the ProRes (LT) files are losing a digital generation and it would be extremely time consuming to have to export over 100 ProRes files.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: ProRes LT 24-bit audio Quicktimes sound fine in Quicktime Player but Pink Noise in FCP 7....
on Jun 23, 2014 at 1:50:53 am

24 bit is not a problem. It's used all the time. The answer lies elsewhere.

Accidentally using compressed audio, or using a weird sample rate could cause odd behavior.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 23, 2014 at 4:14:47 am

I have heard PCM audio play as noise if the byte irder is wrong. PCM should be Little Endian so in Quicktime see if that is correct in the properties. FCP may be more sensitive to this and not play the file correctly if it isn't little.

I don't know if there is ant settings in FCP to fix this if the byte order is wrong. you could re-export just the sound and resync to save the picture generation but a lot of work.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Jun 23, 2014 at 8:13:09 am

Hi, Michael. I did notice the files were PCM Big Endian.

The DP made the quicktimes from original Red files and sent them to me over the net. After I was unable to figure out the issue, I contacted him. He had tested them in Premiere Pro CC and they worked for him. I tested them in Avid MC7, Final Cut Pro 7 and Premeire Pro CS6 and all had static. He eventually tested in Final Cut Pro 7 and he had static as well. So, he re-exported and was able to remove the static by switching his audio format to AAC. When I expressed concern about this AAC audio being compressed, he tried PCM audio again and the static was gone. So, it's a mystery what caused the audio static. Perhaps he did switch to Little Endian without knowing it. What I found strange was that if I exported a quicktime with quicktime pro from the bad quicktime and brought that into my NLE, the static would disappear.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 23, 2014 at 9:09:20 am

I don't know how you can set for Big. The default for PCM is little and not a lot of software can cope with that. DAWs usually can but NLEs just expect the correct byte order.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Jun 23, 2014 at 9:11:17 am

Thanks, Michael. Very good to know.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]