FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting to MP4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Lanza
Exporting to MP4
on Jun 20, 2014 at 5:46:22 pm

If I export a sequence as a QT movie at its current settings (in my case it's 1920 x 1080), is it okay to then change the settings in MPEG Streamclip to 1280 x 720 to create the MP4 that my client is requesting?
Or am I better off keeping the size the same as the exported QT?

If there is a good place to learn about conversions, including quality and file sizes, please feel free to share...

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Exporting to MP4
on Jun 20, 2014 at 6:35:04 pm

Sure. Use Compressor or MPEG Sreamclip and create a 1280 X 720 file.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jun 20, 2014 at 9:22:59 pm

It usually makes sense to export a full-res master Quicktime and convert that to whatever you need to. That way you have the full quality video ready to put into whatever conversion software you use without having to re-open the project and export it from there.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 21, 2014 at 2:39:36 am

Amen to the high-quality master.
Using a metaphor from 15 years ago, which would you prefer to have as a master: a D1 digital tape or a VHS cassette?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 21, 2014 at 9:44:44 pm

I've just been through this need. Export as a self contained QT file. Then download HandBreak. The default looks like this. (if not click the toggle presets button and choose normal):

move the slider to slow

press start and the rest depends on how big your file size is. If its a very long project you might need to select the large file size box. I only needed that once when the movie was 1.5 hours.

HandBreak is used by pro compressionists when needing a high quality mp4. I'm very pleased with the results.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Feb 9, 2017 at 6:08:52 am

REACHING OUT FOR HELP! I've spent DAYS looking at tutorials and calling editors for help. Now I'm down to 36 hours before a deadline and I've really confused myself.

I need to create an MP4 file max size 250MB. Source is a .mov file exported from FCP 7. It's size is 708MB. I also have MPEG Streamclip. I've tried every alternative I can think of to make this an MP4 and compress it. At this point, I'm so confused, I need the steps and settings from point A (a sequence in FCP 7) to point B (an MP4 no more than 250MB). When I tried Compressor, it is locking me at at the "submit" stage.

I'm not a real editor. I'm editing a work sample on my own for funding to HIRE an editor. Clarity and steps from someone would be so greatly appreciated.

FCP7, Compressor 3.5.3, MacBookPro OS 10.8.5, MPEG Streamclip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]