FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO HD .mov to DV NTSC .avi

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Reinig
DVCPRO HD .mov to DV NTSC .avi
on Jun 19, 2014 at 10:27:13 pm

Hi to all,

I have several one hour DVCPRO HD 720 60P .mov from FCP6 that I need to transcode to DV NTSC .avi for use in Japan. The next editor is using Edius which I believe is native avi.

I have tried to transcode from the self contained .mov that was previously exported from fcp6 in Sorenson Squeeze.
Settings: DV NTSC, 29.97, 16x9, Best quality, audio @ 48KHz no compression.
The resulting file, when opened in Streamclip (would not open in QT), only runs 9 min 30 sec, has severe audio drift (audio leading video) and is 15 GB in size. However the out point shows the entire TRT (1 hour 6 min in this case). Video is 4x3 aspect ratio

I have tried to export via QT conversion from the HD timeline in fcp6 to AVI same settings as above. When opened in QT, audio is in sync but finished video is only 7 min 30 sec in length. Video is 16x9 aspect ratio.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

System specs
Mac Pro dual Quadcore 2.66GHz
OS 10.6.8
FCP6
Squeeze 9

Eric Reinig
e. rhino productions

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: DVCPRO HD .mov to DV NTSC .avi
on Jun 20, 2014 at 12:23:36 am

Hey Eric

First off I can't help but ask, have you specifically been asked to down-convert and transcode these files .. and specifically to AVI wrapped DV ... or are you jut trying to do the right thing?

The reason I ask is that Edius is perfectly happy to work with native Quicktime MOV wrapped files (and MXF and AVI and just about anything), including DVCPRO HD MOVs ... and leaving them at HD resolution should give the editor in Japan more flexibility (for pan and scan etc) if they are working at SD resolution. Like most NLE's Edius works easily with mixed resolutions in the timeline.

That said, If you do need or want to down-convert and transcode these files before passing them over to an Edius editor, I'd be inclined to suggest you target the Grass Valley HQ codec ... you can download the free Grass Valley HQX/HQ Codecs Pack for Mac OS X from the Grass Valley support site (I think you have to register on their website before you can download).

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]