FORUMS: list search recent posts

General Error on Export no matter what I do?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie Miller
General Error on Export no matter what I do?
on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:31:39 pm

Hi all -

I've got about a 2 hour project that I'm trying to export out of FCP7.

I shot .MOV, 23.97fps on a T2i, used mpegstreamclip to convert to ProRes 422.

On Quicktime Export, I get a general error about 3% of the way in.

When I try to export everything in 3 minute chunks, things go fine. Any larger, and I get a 'General Error' message.

I've had my scratch disk set to the external drive that the files are on, and on my Mac. (27" 16GB ram i7 core, 4GB video). Didn't make a difference either way.

I'm aware that I may have a bad render - I've deleted render files and re-rendered about three times. I've even re-converted the master file (that I originally thought was the problem) and connected the media to the new ProRes 422 file.

When I try to export as a Quicktime Conversion, the export starts at 7%, gets about halfway thru and gives me a I/O error.

When I try to send to Compressor, it fails to do so, regardless if Compressor is open or not.

Any help on this? I'm desperate to get this completed, but nothing I do seems to matter.

One last note - I've exported this thing as a Quicktime file before, and then burned it to a DVD using Compressor. It had some issues, so I had to fix them and then re-export, which is where I'm stuck.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: General Error on Export no matter what I do?
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:43:00 pm

4GB of RAM is very little. FCP uses 4GB, but your OS needs RAM too. 8GB is the minimum.

Is the sequence fully rendered before you export? Do you have any stills in the sequence?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Melanie Miller
on Jun 18, 2014 at 8:47:28 pm

No stills, seems to be fully rendered, as the status bar is blue-grey.

I have 16GB of ram on the computer. The video card is 4GB, which to my knowledge, outside of having a Mac Pro, is the highest an iMac can have.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 19, 2014 at 1:14:29 am

4GB on the GFX card? Holy crap!

What MacOS are you running? FCP 7 isn't fully supported on Mavericks...just FYI. That's two OS versions after it was discontinued. So full functionality can't be expected.

Wonder if the settings were slightly off when you used MPEG STREAMCLIP...like a data rate or something.
Try this...make a new project. Drag the sequence into that new project. Close the other one. Now try exporting again.

If that doesn't work. make a new fresh sequence...match back to a clip...drop the clip into the new sequence, click YES when it asks to make the settings match. And then delete the clip, copy and paste the old sequence into this new one. Render...export. PErhaps the sequence settings are slightly off.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Melanie Miller
on Jun 19, 2014 at 1:31:35 pm

That may be it - I've had to click and drag from one timeline to another (I also discovered my editing timebase is set to 30fps, where I shot 24fps), which created memory bloat issues, but it seems to need to render less.

Hopefully that'll work so I don't have to harass you anymore!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 19, 2014 at 4:17:46 pm

Uh oh...your footage is 24fps, but the sequence is 30fps? And this is a long 90 min sequence? Well, get ready for a LOT of work fixing this. When you copy/paste into a new sequence, lots of gaps between clips, at cut points, will occur. Sync might be off as clips slip their position. This cannot be avoided...and you can only fix it manually.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Melanie Miller
on Jun 19, 2014 at 5:04:02 pm

Yep. I'm discovering....And its 120 minutes hahaha. Oh well! My own fault.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]