FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems Reconnecting Media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yasmin Mistry
Problems Reconnecting Media
on Jun 16, 2014 at 1:09:49 am

I've inherited a hard drive that is a bit of mess. I've copied all the files to a much faster hard drive and re-organized the file structure. The issue I am now having is that when I re-connect the footage in the bins the media in the timeline only reconnects to the original clip. All the subclips reconnect in the bins but not in the timeline. The clips in the timeline seem to be independent of the ones in the bins.

I talked to the assistant editor who logged all the footage and created the original assembly. She said a couple of the interviews she originally logged were XDCAM so she ended up transcoding them and reconnecting them later. She did this by reconnecting the media in the timeline as opposed to the bins. I thought this may be the cause of my problems but I'm not sure if that's true or how to fix it, other than starting from scratch.

The other issue I am having is that after I reconnect and save the file if I then open the external hard drive on another machine it all goes missing again as the computer tries to access the interview footage from the OLD drive, instead of the one I reconnected it to.

I'm primarily an After Effects user and usually only do basic edits in Final Cut so I'm hoping I'm just missing something really basic.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problems Reconnecting Media
on Jun 16, 2014 at 5:11:02 pm

[Yasmin Mistry] "I've copied all the files to a much faster hard drive and re-organized the file structure."

Oy. FCP is bad with media management. Copying to a faster drive might have been OK, if you were suffering drop frame issues, but reorganization at that point wasn't the wisest idea. best to keep the original structure in place...even on the new drive. Best to name it the same thing and everything so things just reconnect. But now...you have a potential mess. But not without hope...you still have the original drive, and I hope a copy of the project that links to the original media on that drive.

[Yasmin Mistry] "The issue I am now having is that when I re-connect the footage in the bins the media in the timeline only reconnects to the original clip."

Disconnect the messed up drive before you reconnect. Or it'll keep trying to connect to the old media.

[Yasmin Mistry] "She did this by reconnecting the media in the timeline as opposed to the bins. I thought this may be the cause of my problems but I'm not sure if that's true or how to fix it, other than starting from scratch."

Yeah....that is. Sometimes media that you reconnect in the timeline will not reconnect in the bins too. Best to highlight the entire project, that way it'll reconnect in both places. And also best to take the originally linked media offline. Never wise to store camera backups and edit media on the same drive anyway.

Want this to be easy? Clone the existing file structure to a faster drive (if needed). don't reorganize a darn thing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Yasmin Mistry
on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:48:40 pm

[Shane Ross] ". Best to highlight the entire project, that way it'll reconnect in both places."

Can you clarify please. Do you mean highlight the entire project in the bins? The timeline? Both?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 16, 2014 at 9:31:03 pm

Everything in the browser.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 16, 2014 at 5:12:20 pm

Can you revert to the point in time BEFORE you reorganized, and just deal with it? Sure, it's a royal pain now, but I think you'd be happier in the long run.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Yasmin Mistry
on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:45:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I do still have the original drive that I can clone on to the faster drive instead. The project has expanded significantly and it's at a point where the edit has to be restructured anyway so my thought was that it would be better to fix the mess on the drive now as opposed to having more problems at a much later date since this is an indie film and could be years in the making.

The assistant editor had the scratch disk set to her internal drive on her computer so all the render files are showing up missing when I plug in that drive. I presume that once I clone the material onto the faster drive if I skip the render files directories and re-render the various timelines (with the scratch disk set to the external drive) that will resolve that issue. However, it's also trying to link to files in her computer's trash bin, which I'm not sure how to resolve since I don't see them in any of the bins to being with. They aren't needed so I could just "kip directory every time it opens but I'd really like to get this all resolved and cleaned up before moving forward.

Out of curiosity, is Premiere better with file management? I'm curious it exporting an EDL into Premiere and then trying to re-link everything there would work ( or cause even more problems since I'd be bringing in an additional factor).

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:00:22 pm

[Yasmin Mistry] "Out of curiosity, is Premiere better with file management? "

No...worse. Getting better, but there are still issues with Premiere and media management. All based on the fact that it works with media natively. There is no viable offline/online workflow, for example. And no way to media manage only the footage used in your cut...and nothing more.

[Yasmin Mistry] " I'm curious it exporting an EDL into Premiere and then trying to re-link everything there would work ( or cause even more problems since I'd be bringing in an additional factor)."

You would need to export an XML, not EDL. And no, I believe that Premiere Pro will have more difficult time linking than FCP did.

Stick to the old drive, old file structure. Or copy the full file structure of the old drive to a new one.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]