FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mp4 to ProRes 422 for FCP issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith
Mp4 to ProRes 422 for FCP issue
on Jun 12, 2014 at 1:08:05 pm

I haven't done this in a while.. Need to chop up slow-mo Mp4 footage (h.264 codec ). I tried converting it via Compressor to ProRess 422 but am getting major artifacts.

So, may I cut up a simple vid using the MP4 without converting it (i'm not using X but the FCP version before that) or is that a really bad idea? What's the worse that can happen? I know that ProRes is the pro way to go but i'm in need of a quick solution, have a hard deadline.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
Re: Mp4 to ProRes 422 for FCP issue
on Jun 12, 2014 at 1:15:49 pm

Just realized since my footage is 1280 x 720, and ProRes is for HD footage that's probably my problem. What's the solution?

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jun 12, 2014 at 3:54:49 pm

Actually forget Mp4 - i have to use ProRes. How do I get rid of these artifacts? A portion of the frame is getting heavily pixalated ( see a screenshot below ) every 40 sec or so. Otherwise looks great. These artifacts are not on the original Mp4

Return to posts index

Edwin Street
on Jun 12, 2014 at 4:50:52 pm

Sometimes if nothing works when trying to convert a file. Just play the video as it is and record the screen. I've had to do this a few times. Quicktime is free and has a screen recording option, but if you want something better I always recommend Screenflic. Or Fraps if you're on a PC. You can then crop it and export to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:16:06 pm

1280x720 is HD. 720p. There are two formats of HD..1080i and 720p.

Where do these files originate from? And you should try MPEG STREAMCLIP...see if it does this.

And yes, you must convert. What could happen? Loss of sync, wrong image from the clip might appear in the export...loss of sync in the timeline itself.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jun 12, 2014 at 8:08:30 pm

I think in my case screen capture is the way to go. Great idea. Is Screenflic "industry standard"? I'm looking for the highest quality, and the fastest turnaround - money is no object. Is Screenflic > than Screenflow?

Shane, thx for that, sorry about my brainfart, yes 720p is HD of course. I've always trusted Compressor. If compressor is not good enough I doubt streamclip will top it.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jun 13, 2014 at 2:58:27 am

Experimented with screen capture all day. The quality is just not good enough. I'm gonna keep fighting to get the Mp4 to ProRes conversion work. Any tips welcome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]