FORUMS: list search recent posts

60p Output, from…?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
60p Output, from…?
on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:52:54 am

Recently I posted here about an art project requiring a looped video to display at 60p, in which I wanted to make sure my Sequence’s 1080 59.94 was analogous to the exhibition gallery’s 1080 60p projector mode.
The Cow answered that it was. All good.

Next issue is exhibition playback of a final file, and I’m not sure where to post this query since the Cow’s Digital Signage Forum last saw action in 2012!

That final file— a 1080 59.94 h264 transcoded from my PR422 edit master— will be fed to a projector via HDMI. I made a test excerpt with a modest 7,500 kb/s bit rate.

For exhibitions I usually provide a BrightSign media box with seamless looping, and in my test to a large new HDTV via HDMI it knocked down the output from 60 to 30. Their tech support hasn’t yet gotten back to me with detailed specs, but I do need 60p; this video’s action has strobing issues at 30.

Then if not my media box the gallery can use a Mac. I tested direct HDMI output from my mid-2013 Retina MBP playing the same file to the same TV— it was smooth as silk, beautiful! Definitely 60p.

Then I tested my nicely optioned late-2013 Mini via the same HDMI cable to the same HDTV. It’s much more practical to tuck a Mac Mini on a shelf at a gallery exhibition for a month than a nice laptop. But the Mini was NOT good— random brightness dips!
It seemed the Mac Mini couldn’t handle the 1080 size plus dense frame rate. But why?!

Which brings me to the query. Does anyone happen to know of a seamless loop 1080 60p playback scheme that doesn’t demand a nice new Retina MBP?

Or, where to ask that question if not on the Cow?

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: 60p Output, from…?
on Jun 11, 2014 at 5:11:06 pm

What software are you using to play out? I have a Mini (i5) and can play out 720p60 via HDMI using MPlayer. I noticed VLC has problems keeping up and drops frames, but MPlayer plays out fine.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jun 11, 2014 at 5:19:58 pm

I'm in Mavericks using Quicktime Player, which loops seamlessly. Also, my file is 1080 so it's quite denser than 720. I'll look into MPlayer but it needs to do the loop thing without a visual break.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jun 11, 2014 at 9:27:47 pm

Mark, I tried MPlayer and the good news is it ran the 1080 mp4 59.94 file without any image irregularities and brightness dips, unlike Quicklime Player. But, although it has a A-B Loop set feature MPlayer did not in fact loop; it closed the file after one play.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 11, 2014 at 9:33:32 pm

Yeah - sorry I do not know much of MPlayer's looping capability. You think the simplest things would work, but sometimes they just don't. Good luck…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]