FORUMS: list search recent posts

glitch h264 not good for editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mircea dobre
glitch h264 not good for editing?
on Jun 10, 2014 at 11:57:46 pm

Hi guys,

I am running into the following issue. I have a clip .mov (h264) exported from IPhoto. I imported into FCP7 (later on FCP X as well) to add a corner logo. Rendering works fine when added a png with transparency, then exported .mov (File/Export) so the clip will be played initially on TV's slideshow. The export is getting so many glitches, artifacts, jumping frames, dissapearing colors, etc. Seems that h264 for,at it's not that good for editing. Delete render files, change timelines, nothing seems to work.

Is there a main reason why h264 is so difficult to work with? I know it's not recommended codec to edith, but it's that bad???

As a final solution I'll convert it to Pro Res 422 edit it, export it again. But this will take longer time. Any solution?

Thanks,
Mircea

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.8
Final Cut Pro 7
Final Cut Pro X

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: glitch h264 not good for editing?
on Jun 11, 2014 at 5:25:39 am

[mircea dobre] "Is there a main reason why h264 is so difficult to work with? I know it's not recommended codec to edith, but it's that bad??? "

In FCP 7...yes, it's bad. Why? FCP 7 wasn't designed to work with it. It's highly compressed, and mainly an acquisition or delivery format...not an editing one. Avid also has issues with it. Adobe Premiere does not...but then again, it's designed to work with pretty much any format natively. FCX CAN work with it...but it still wants to "optimize it," meaning, convert it to ProRes.

If you want to work with this footage with FCP 7...you gotta convert to ProRes. FCX...you migh tbe able to get away with H.264. But if it's glitchy, then you need to convert. It might be a more highly compressed H.264 than camera masters are typically, thus making it harder to deal with. If you want to work with it natively...use Adobe Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mircea dobre
Re: glitch h264 not good for editing?
on Jun 12, 2014 at 9:00:03 pm

Thanks Shane,
It's just annoying and huge space usage H264 to ProRes. Thats how I am working currently, most of the format to PRoRes. Seems that Premiere will get many FCP users soon. Shame anyway of Apple's FCP. But this has to move to another forum, thus I prefer FCP 7.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]