FORUMS: list search recent posts

clip disappears after export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobin Duby
clip disappears after export
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:30:21 am

Editing a project that involves webcam footage (MPEG, MPEG-2 Video, AC3) plus clips downloaded from YouTube (MPEG-4, H.264, AAC).

Everything plays just fine in FCP6, but once I export, a few of the clips no longer show. When QT Player reaches one of the faulty clips, the last frame from before the clip will freeze and stay on for as long as the clip was supposed to play. Audio is fine. Synch is still fine after the freeze. Uploaded to YouTube, something slightly different happens: the faulty clip is replaced with a blank gray screen.

Interestingly, if I open the exported video in FCP6, it's actually worse: video loops back on itself, ends up way out of synch, etc. Audio still fine.

Anyone know what’s going on?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: clip disappears after export
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:39:26 am

Yes. You are trying to edit MPEG, MPEG-2 Video, AC3 plus clips downloaded from YouTube (MPEG-4, H.264, AAC). FCP doesn't work with those formats natively...they are unsupported. The problem is that it APPEARS as if those will work in FCP...but they will not. A host of issues can arise, most at the final export phase...and this is one of them.

FCP requires that all footage be converted to an FCP editing codec, like ProRes. This is a must...BEFORE you edit. If you want to edit those formats natively, you need to use an edit system that supports doing that...like Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tobin Duby
Re: clip disappears after export
on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:30:43 pm

Thanks, that cleared it right up!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]