FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Babcut
Sequence settings
on Jun 6, 2014 at 12:59:16 pm

I've been handed a project with footage in both Apple ProRes 422 HQ and 422 LT and I'm trying to decide which to use for my sequence settings. The other specs are the same: 1920 x 1080 and all shot at 23.98
A lot is two camera shooting with the main camera at 422 HQ and the second converted to 422 LT.

Best way forward?

thanks!,

Babs

Working in OS 10.6.8

Real Life is Your Best Entertainment Value

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sequence settings
on Jun 6, 2014 at 2:36:08 pm

What are you delivering? Web video is one thing. A show for PBS is a very different thing. You would use two different settings for each.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Babcut
on Jun 6, 2014 at 2:48:21 pm

We don't know yet. It is an indie doc, could do the festival circuit, could end up on PBS. My default is the 422 HQ, but I'm trying to minimize rendering while working as much as possible. I would say the footage is 60/40 LT/HQ.

Return to posts index

Babcut
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:14:55 pm

And I plan on a full-up final post at a facility so we will be deliver to any format we need to.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 6, 2014 at 4:11:38 pm

I'd work in ProRes 422. It's easy to work with, it won't degrade the HQ or LT footage, and if someone insists on HQ, it's easy to make an HQ timeline at the end, and just copy-past from the old timeline to the new one. It's a very nice compromise.

You'd have to re-render ProRes 422 footage between 6 and 10 generations before any visible degradation appeared. Pretty impressive for such a compact codec.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Babcut
on Jun 6, 2014 at 4:13:54 pm

Thanks! That is the kind of common sense answer I was looking for!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 6, 2014 at 6:22:17 pm

The codec sequence setting can be changed at any time so you could set it to ProRes Proxy (to keep renders quick and small) for the edit and then, at the very end, change it to HQ for your final export. the only sequence setting that cannot be changed at at time is the frame rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]