FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Yosemite be the one that breaks FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Will Yosemite be the one that breaks FCP7?
on Jun 3, 2014 at 1:39:11 pm

So, who'd going to bell the cat, and try the beta version of the new OS to see if it breaks FCP7/ FCS3?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Will Yosemite be the one that breaks FCP7?
on Jun 3, 2014 at 4:20:20 pm

These forums are filled with people who update their OS without thinking...and rush to get the latest without thought about how their 3 year old, discontinued software will run on it...and then be shocked...SHOCKED that it doesn't work, and that Apple doesn't support it.

I give it a week after the beta is released...or at least after it is released for real. Oh...heads will ROLL...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Jun 4, 2014 at 12:09:08 am

Well I decided to be a guinea pig.

I loaded Yosemite onto a 128GB USB 3 flash drive so I could dual boot with my existing Mavericks setup on a latest generation Mac Book Pro. I installed FCP 7 only, none of the supporting apps and it runs!

This was a very, very simple test, I loaded up a Prores clip added a few splices and it kept running. But the fact that FCP7 even loads is encouraging.

Keep in mind that Yosemite is still beta. Additional changes could easily break FCP7. I certainly wouldn't have done this test on a production machine.

Now I'll try loading VisiCalc :)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 4, 2014 at 1:42:43 pm

This sounds encouraging, but as you say, inconclusive. We heard initial stories of people running 7 without issue in Mavericks as well, but then later, the anecdotes about weirdness here and there started creeping in.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:00:11 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:00:45 pm

Someone's doing something similar with Adobe software: so far, not great... at least for CS6. Creative cloud? No reports yet.

Go Visicalc!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:37:50 pm

Dave, I'm glad someone got the VisiCalc reference :)

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jun 5, 2014 at 1:48:00 pm

Just an observation. I'm always mystified by the fact that so many people feel compelled to load up a new version of OS just because it's it's there and it's new and shiny. Unless it offers some new feature(s)that we just can't live without, why upgrade? If your system is working and stable, why mess with it? I use my system for a business and I can't afford to take the chance of breaking it just for the sake of some tiny feature that is perceived as a must have. If it's working, why mess with it? My 2 cents worth.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:31:21 am

Hello Everyone,

Now that Yosemite has been released to the public has anyone been able to confirm if Final Cut Pro 7 works? Thanks.

Neel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 27, 2014 at 3:40:28 am

Don't do it. FCP's 3-year-old software that is no longer supported. You want to make SURE you can use FCP? Don't upgrade the OS. Leave it alone.

Otherwise, YOU will be the one who gets the rude surprises when some obscure item in FCP no longer functions properly.

If you absolutely, positively MUST have the new OS, get another computer to go with it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jul 27, 2014 at 5:10:25 am

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I was hesitant to upgrade to Mavericks but it turned out that FCP 7 works perfectly. I have been using it lately and have not encountered any problems with it. I'm going to wait and see if FCP 7 is supported before I upgrade to Yosemite.

Neel

Return to posts index

Will Moindrot
on Aug 7, 2014 at 10:27:34 am

I did it, I tried it, and it worked for me. Final Cut Pro 7.0 (and later 7.0.3) in the OSX Yosemite public beta. Tried capture from Canon EOS, some light editing, export and render with Compressor and all looked honky dorey:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]