FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining several different formats of footage together in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
Combining several different formats of footage together in FCP 7
on Jun 2, 2014 at 5:26:49 pm

Hi,

I have several different formats of footage that I want to use together in a music video i'm editing on FCP 7:

-canon 5d: h.264, 1920 x 1080, 23.98fps
-flip camera: h.264, 1280 x 720, 50fps
-capturing footage from internet using "snapz x pro" screen capture software. (this part I haven't done yet, because i am not sure what settings to use in the capture. Should i use apple prores 422 since that is the format i'm using on FCP timeline?)

I have already trascoded the Canon 5d footage to apple prores 422 using Media Streamclip. My question now is how should i transcode the flip camera footage to use alongside the canon 5d footage? It has different size (1280 x 720 as opposed to 1920 x 1080) and different FPS. Should I transcode it in Media Streampclip as well with the same settings to conform with the Canon 5D footage, ie 1920x1080 and 23.98fps?

Please let me know
thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Combining several different formats of footage together in FCP 7
on Jun 2, 2014 at 5:32:45 pm

FCP will work best if all the footage is in the same codec, preferably ProRes 422, and AT THE SAME FRAME RATE. FCP can indeed accommodate different frame rates in the same edit timeline, but mixing frame rates won't look good.

If that isn't an issue for you, go ahead and do it.

As for size, FCP will scale the footage to fit the edit timeline. It may or may not look good, depending on what you have chosen for an edit timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Combining several different formats of footage together in FCP 7
on Jun 2, 2014 at 8:53:40 pm

What David said. Mixing 720p and 1080p is fine, but mixing frame rates is a no-go in FCP. Gotta convert them to a uniform one...use Compressor and set the frame controls to BEST...all of them. And be prepared for a long wait.

BTW, Avid, Adobe and FCX all mix frame rates well... That's FCP 7 and under's weakness

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]