FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting a DVCPRO HD 1080i60 sequence into an Apple ProRes 422(HQ) sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Taylor
Converting a DVCPRO HD 1080i60 sequence into an Apple ProRes 422(HQ) sequence
on May 30, 2014 at 12:30:10 am
Last Edited By Terence Taylor on May 30, 2014 at 1:02:38 am

I have looked through postings but can't find this specific issue. I talked to an editor friend and my post house, and there are only minor solutions.

I started editing a feature length documentary two years ago, and at the time the footage came to me digitized as DVCPRO HD 1080i60 so I automatically set up the project and sequences for that format because I was used to doing so for broadcast TV. Two years later I have learned a lot more, get the whole 1280/1920 thing better now, and want to be able to color correct and output the final film in 1920x1080, not 1280x1080.

When I copy the whole sequence and paste it into a new sequence with Apple Pro Res settings, the DVCPRO HD 1080i60 footage blows up to look right, but when I double click it says it is scaled 150%, when I would think it would only scale out the sides to 1920 from 1280. Some shots on other footage are distorted, but I can go through and fix them individually, I get a "out of memory" message when I try to re-render the whole thing, so I will try rendering it in chunks, but the scale issue concerns me. Any advice on how to take a DVCPRO HD 1080i60 file and put it in a new apple pro res sequence that will output that aspect ratio?

All my graphics are done in After Effects as 1920x1080 files, and I have exported at DVCPRO HD 1080i60 to play without rendering in my current edit, but can re-export them all at full 1920. So far the best idea has been to color correct in DVCPRO HD 1080i60, export the video at 1902, then export all the graphic footage in 1920, then combine that output footage into a single 19020 sequence. That works after picture is locked, but I am still looking for a cheap shortcut to upscale it all, and be able to keep editing from the original footage.

I am still experimenting, but didn't see anything this specific online and thought I'd throw it out to the forum. I did just discover that if I drag the sequence into a new ProRs sequence, it needs to be rendered, and is memory intensive, but the whole timeline from the DVCPRO HD 1080i60 sequence is scaled to size perfectly, looks clean, and I think it may be the simplest fastest way for me to keep editing in DVCPRO HD 1080i60 and output clean from the ProRes copy, as long as I turn off all the titles and graphics, and put them into the ProRes file at 1920...there is still work to do, but the video seems like I can get it into the new format without rescaling each shot...more as I find it, but still curious what others may have done.

Thanks for any ideas!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]