FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mini DV Capture Issue - Audio out of sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle Katvan
Mini DV Capture Issue - Audio out of sync
on May 29, 2014 at 11:56:51 pm

Hey everyone,

I know this is a blast from the past problem, but I could really use some help figuring this out. I've got a huge stack of old mini DV tapes that I am trying to capture using FCP 7 and a SONY Deck (DSR-45A). I am using a Firewire 800 Cable to connect the deck to my Macbook.

Device Control is set to FireWire NTSC and Capture/Preset is a custom preset I created which is basically the same as the DV NTSC 48kHz preset except that I changed it to 32kHz because that is what the tape was recorded at.

Here is the issue:
I hit Capture Now to create one continuous clip for the entire tape. When I play back that clip, the audio goes out of sync as soon as there is a timecode break. I looked on another forum and one solution was to select "Make New Clip On Timecode Break" in the User Preferences. I did this, and it worked at first. It created 3 clips, and all of them had the audio in sync. But after about 5 minutes of capturing, on the 3rd timecode break, I got an notification that said "Capture Now has reached the end of the tape. All existing footage between the point where you started the capture and the end of the tape was captured successfully". This is obviously not true because it only went through about 5 minutes of tape.
I then tried switching the Device Control to Non-Controllable device, but then it wouldn't create separate clips, and the clip that it did create was out of sync again.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Is there a something I should be doing with the deck itself? Is this an FCP issue? Could really use some advice.

Thanks in advance!
-Danielle

Return to posts index

Dino Vince
Re: Mini DV Capture Issue - Audio out of sync
on Jun 2, 2014 at 3:18:59 pm

Unfortunately, Mini DV doesn't have 'locked audio' like Mini DVCAM does. DVCAM locks the audio so it doesn't drift. When I discovered this problem, I switched to using the DVCAM setting, but to work with footage already captured, I had to unlock the audio in the timelime, then bump it a few frames every minute or couple of minutes to get it to synch. Not sure how long your sequence is, if it's not too long this could be a valid work around?

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Danielle Katvan
Re: Mini DV Capture Issue - Audio out of sync
on Jun 2, 2014 at 3:26:06 pm

Thanks, Dino. Unfortunately I've got about 50 tapes to capture, so I'm hoping to find an easier solution. Switching to "Make New Clip on Timecode Break" actually solved the sync issue, but then for some reason I keep getting a notification that Capture Now has reached the end of the tape, even though it hasn't, and I need to manually press play again to continue capturing. Any idea why it keeps thinking it reached the end of the tape when I switch to the "Make New Clip on Timecode Break" preference? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]