FCP Screenshare and remote working

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
FCP Screenshare and remote working
on May 27, 2014 at 11:47:47 am
Last Edited By Thomas Morter-Laing on May 27, 2014 at 11:48:10 am

Hopefully someone can help.
I'm trying to start working from home with FCP, but every now and again its good to be able to share a project with another editor in the office where they can hear the audio and view the timeline properly etc. iChat Theatre used to be the best (and only) proper way of doing that I thought, but now it's gone what on earth do I do?
Whilst I'm on the subject- what IS the best way of me and my colleague (editor) keeping multiple projects and assets and scratch organised? (We have about 8TB of just projects and assets- gfx, audio etc, all on a local server which we access via SMB at work. We have about another 30 in scratch that we keep on local drives. When working from home I take a hard drive home with the relevant footage for what Im working on, and access the server via a VPN- but that's only just quick enough to open a project, and can therefore be problematic if I'm dealing with graphics files. My home internet connection is pretty good- it seems to be the fact that Im accessing material via VPN then connecting to the server.

Any suggestions would be great!

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 3x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo Pro ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA Pro 6Gb ExpressCard/34.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP Screenshare and remote working
on May 27, 2014 at 4:04:16 pm

It's best to have all the assets you need on your local drive. Accessing something miles away...I doubt the connection is fast enough for that.

Now..why did you use iChat theatre when collaborating with another editor? I used that to show producers my cut...but other editors, I sent a project file that they could open and relink and watch. There is no replacement for iChat Theatre, BTW. Sad to see that go. Other than to point a web cam at your monitor and use another computer's iChat or Skype.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: FCP Screenshare and remote working
on May 28, 2014 at 1:22:06 pm

Awww that's a shame then.
In which case, how does Avid's Media Composer cloud do it? I watched the demo and they don't seem to have any issues with speed working from the same proxies remotely. he even mentioned 4G would work fine. Does it continuously make incredibly light proxies all the time or something?

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 3x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo Pro ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA Pro 6Gb ExpressCard/34.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]