FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio recorded at 96 kHz = problem in FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Gariépy
Audio recorded at 96 kHz = problem in FCP 7?
on May 26, 2014 at 8:33:45 pm

Hello everyone. I shot a short movie using a Canon C-100 and recording the sound separately.

I already synched all the footage and started to edit in FCP7. I just realized that the sound has been recorded at 96 kHz. I noticed this when the sound started to act weirdly when I rendered a section with a 48 kHz music track on it (one track of dialogue would get one frame out of sync every time I rendered the audio).

I've never edited anything with a 96 kHz frequency. From what I read, I understrand it's overkill for dialogue, but I didn't know the soundman was doing this.

Should I continue editing on a 96 kHz timeline or should I conform all the sound to 48? Could the 96 kHz thing become a problem later on? If so, is there a way to conform the sound without having to re-sync everything?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio recorded at 96 kHz = problem in FCP 7?
on May 29, 2014 at 5:46:53 am

Sample rate for digital Video is 48khz and FCP really only works reliably when the clips and sequence settings are on 48khz. Recording at 96 for dialog & FX is overkill and a waste of time as everything must be resampled to 48 before any syncing or editing.

Please don't forget to tell the sound recordist of the consequences in time and cost of making this basic mistake.

Return to posts index

Philippe Gariépy
Re: Audio recorded at 96 kHz = problem in FCP 7?
on May 30, 2014 at 3:00:20 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured. Now, how should I resample all this sound? Should I go through Compressor and relink manually everything afterwards or is there an easier way, through Media Manager or something like this? We shot for two days, so there's quite a bit of footage to resync.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]