FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Stuttering Playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harrison Gruber
FCP 7 Stuttering Playback
on May 23, 2014 at 4:40:07 pm

I was editing ProRes 422 footage just fine on my macbook when all of a sudden playback began to stutter. (Running Snow Leopard, USB 3.0 connection to Ext. HD with plenty of room to spare on both External and Startup drives) Have tried adjusting Playback quality, running disk utility, restarting computer, and nothing works--. Any possible fixes are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP 7 Stuttering Playback
on May 23, 2014 at 4:55:02 pm

How many tracks of video are trying to play at once in the timeline? That makes a big difference, especially with USB3.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
on May 23, 2014 at 5:16:26 pm

Hmm..I have some graphics I've brought in from MOTION. You're right, that's probably what it is. Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 23, 2014 at 5:53:33 pm

The drive you have might have a USB 3 connection...but does your computer? If you are running Snow Leopard, that means you are running and older machine...older macs didn't have USB3...they had USB 2. Only computers made starting in 2012/2013 have USB 3.

And USB 2 isn't good for editing. Barely works for DV...won't work at all for HD ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
on May 26, 2014 at 6:22:02 pm

You are correct in that it's a USB 2.0 however it edits HD ProRes footage just fine.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 26, 2014 at 6:36:16 pm

Well, apparently not anymore. I've never had success with USB 2 and ProRes HD on FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on May 26, 2014 at 10:47:41 pm

I agree with Shane. The problem with USB is not speed but the way USB sends data in packets rather than a stream. For editing we need Firewire, eSata or thunderbolt external drives. Fiber channel for high end users.

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
on May 27, 2014 at 1:57:10 am

I've never had a problem editing HD ProRes using the USB 2.0 port on my macbook. The problem I was having was being caused by something else and I fixed it by trashing the Prefs for FCP.

Return to posts index

Aynsley Baldwin
on Apr 26, 2015 at 1:34:55 am

Hi folks,

I am encountering the same problem here, but with media on an internal drive on my MacPro tower (separate from the system drive). It's a 7200 RPM, and I swear I used to be able to edit ProRes with this system before, without stuttering. Not sure what the issue is now! Footage even stutters straight out of the viewer window. I am running FCP 7 on an 8 core MacPro4,1 with Snow Leopard. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Aynsley

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:13:12 pm

Asd mentioned previously, the type of connection and the number of video tracks make all the difference.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:16:31 pm

HOw full is the drive? The fuller they get, the slower they get. If there isn't 15% of the drive free of stuff, it'll be really slow

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]