FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Glitch -- Selecting Audio Clips In Timeline, OSX Issue?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Kester
FCP 7 Glitch -- Selecting Audio Clips In Timeline, OSX Issue?
on May 21, 2014 at 9:41:35 pm

I'm editing a large project in FCP 7, and am having a very annoying issue when trying to move chunks of audio clips in the timeline.

When I select certain clips, they are often weirdly linked to clips in other sections of the timeline. For example, I might move a clip at 10:05, and an unassociated clip (I'll call it a "wild clip") at 04:00 might be selected and moved with it. This is most often a problem when using the Select All Tracks tool to move bigger sections of the video. Oftentimes I can't tell that a "wild clip" has been moved out of its place until way later when I am reviewing earlier sections of the edit. This is very irritating!!!

The only way around this (sometimes, but not always), is to un-stereo the "wild clip", move the sections that I want to move, and then stereo the "wild clip" again. But the bigger my project gets, the more frustrating it is to do that.

I'm using OSX 10.8.6 (Snow Leopard), on a 12,2 iMac. I've intentionally not upgraded to newer OSX versions because I've heard of glitches like this happening. But now that it's happening on my Snow Leopard-powered computer, I'm considering updating. Any thoughts??? Any advice????

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP 7 Glitch -- Selecting Audio Clips In Timeline, OSX Issue?
on May 22, 2014 at 2:49:13 pm

Have you trashed FCP preferences?

Have you followed best FCP practices for ingesting and importing audio and video?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brad Kester
on May 22, 2014 at 6:05:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I did try trashing the FCP preferences, to no avail. As far as importing video/audio, is there something specific I should be avoiding? All my audio files are from a Zoom H4N, and they are saved in a folder on my external hard drive that contains the rest of my project. Everything's been imported by way of File > Import, and then linked to the video using Pluraleyes (the video has been properly transcoded, of course).

There were three mics used in the recording process, all of which have been linked to the corresponding video clip to make each master clip. When I bring a new master clip into the edit, I've been selecting the best audio track and usually deleting (sometimes deactivating) the others. For interview audio (it's a documentary), I've been making the audio mono instead of stereo by first undoing the stereo link, deleting the weaker of the two audio clips, duplicating the better clip, and then stereo-ing them again, so that one track is Left channel and one track is Right channel. Would this cause any erratic behavior?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 22, 2014 at 9:15:36 pm

May we presume that your video clips were also ingested properly, that they're in ProRes 422 and that you aren't trying to use H.264 clips from a DSLR?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brad Kester
on May 23, 2014 at 12:42:01 am

Correct. All video is Apple ProRes 422.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 23, 2014 at 3:55:10 pm

Here's my last suggestion, and after this greater minds than mine will have to address the problem:

Since it's a large project, the audio may have been rendered a couple-three times, even if you didn't know it. Open the FCP Render Manager, find your problem project, and delete all the audio render files. Then if necessary, do a select all and re-render timeline audio... but only if it's necessary.

If that doesn't clear it up, I'm out of answers.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brad Kester
on May 29, 2014 at 4:19:49 pm

I was out of town over the weekend, but I finally got to try your suggestion of deleting the render files. It didn't work, unfortunately.

I'm all ears if anyone else has an idea how to fix this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]