FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need to get Canon c300 footage shot in slo mo back to normal speed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth Gilbert
I need to get Canon c300 footage shot in slo mo back to normal speed
on May 16, 2014 at 2:50:43 pm

Hello everyone,
I should first preface that this is the first project we've shot with a Canon c300. I got the whole folder system during media management, and transcoded the mxf files through an app we had previously purchased.

We normally shoot with a Canon 1D or 7D, where we'll shoot at 60 fps and I'll have to conform in with Cinema Tools to make it slow motion once I get it into Final Cut. Without conforming it it plays at regular speed.

I'm now learning that the c300 is different. We'd actually like to use the footage we shot at 60 frames as regular speed (23.98) footage and I'm at a loss at how to do it. I've looked on CreativeCow and all over the internet, and I'm not sure if I'm just not using the right phrase or asking the right question or what, but I'm not finding the solution anywhere.

We need the footage to have the audio that was recorded at the same time to sync up properly.

Is there anyone out there that can walk me through the steps or send me a link for a video or blog that walks me through the steps?

Thanks guys!
Liz

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: I need to get Canon c300 footage shot in slo mo back to normal speed
on May 16, 2014 at 4:41:01 pm

[Elizabeth Gilbert] "transcoded the mxf files through an app we had previously purchased."

What app? Is that app slowing the footage down? Not converting it to 60fps, but somehow converting it to 23.98 or 29.97? Can you tell it NOT to?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Gilbert
on May 16, 2014 at 6:36:27 pm

Hi Shane,
We were using a program called (pav tube - CC flagged that word before as a "bad word" not sure why though). I've tried opening it in the AVID free app XDCAM Transfer as well as Wondershare, and all programs say the footage is at 23.98, not 59.94 like a 1D or a 7D would have it.

This is our first time really working and shooting with a C300 and we weren't made aware of this before hand. Had we known about this, we would have instructed our camera crew to shoot at 23.98 and not used slow motion at all.

If anyone can give me suggestions on managing the problem, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 16, 2014 at 6:04:31 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 16, 2014 at 6:05:31 pm

[Elizabeth Gilbert]: "We need the footage to have the audio that was recorded at the same time to sync up properly."

Um, something's not adding up here. You shot the video at 59.94, recording the audio on an external recorder. You want to conform the video frame rate to 23.976, which makes it 2 1/2 times slower.

Yet you want to sync the audio -- still at normal speed, I presume --to a clip that is now 2 1/2 times slower that it was originally?

By this are you saying that you want to slow down the audio as well? Or are you trying to achieve the impossible? I'm foggy on that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Gilbert
on May 16, 2014 at 6:32:08 pm

No, I want to speed up the slo mo footage to normal speed and be able to lay it the audio that was recorded to line up with the people talking on camera.

I've done more research since this post and have realized that our DP that sold us on the idea of using a c300 for this shoot should have mentioned that if we shot footage in slo mo that it could no longer be used at normal speed.

In the past with 1D footage we would shoot at 60 frames, and if the edit called for it we could then conform it to 23.98 to slow it down in Cinema Tools. I've learned that the c series cameras work the opposite way.

My question now is, is there a program that we can use to conform the slo mo footage to normal speed, that will make it look better than just "changing speed" in the sequence in Final Cut? Also, if it was shot at 59.94 made to conform in the camera to 23.98 on the fly, what percentage would I use to change the speed in Final Cut.

Thanks.
Elizabeth

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 16, 2014 at 6:37:52 pm

What software was used to convert the footage? What did you convert it to..codec and frame rate?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 16, 2014 at 7:44:59 pm

Give this a shot. Convert as is (23.98) to ProRes. Open the ProRes clip in Cinema Tools and conform back to 59.94.

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Gilbert
on May 16, 2014 at 9:40:05 pm

We used a program called Pav Tube to convert the mxf files to ProRes Proxy. We are editing in 23.98 timeline, that will ultimately be delivered as ProRes HQ 23.98 1080p, but I transcode to HQ only the clips that actually get used in our final edit.

I tried pulling the clip into Cinema Tools and converting back to 59.94, but all the buttons I actually know were greyed out. If you can send me a screen grab, I'll try again.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 11:46:54 pm

I am confused here. The C300 doesn't have a "slo-mo" mode., it shoots 1280x720 60p which y have to conform into slow motion in the exact same way you would do so with the 7D or 1DC. Something tells me you have screwed up the clips in the conversion process to ProRes.

Frankly, you should not be using PavTube. I doesn't strike me as a reliable way to deal with footage from a pro editing codec. Install the Canon plugin for XF in FCP and use it to inject your footage.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2014 at 9:37:06 pm

You should DEFINATELY NOT use PavTube when you are doing an offline/online workflow. It doesn't transfer any metadata needed to relink to high quality conversion. You'll have to convert EVERYTHING and manually relink clip by clip, or overcut. No no...if you want to do offline/online workflow in FCP, you must use Log and Transfer.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]