FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two fades vertically aligned

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Paredes
Two fades vertically aligned
on May 16, 2014 at 11:41:33 am

I'm not sure if this is just a new bug after I did a clean install of Mavericks. (note: I'm still using FCP7)

So here's my problem: I have a PSD lower third graphic on Video Track 1 and a video clip on Video Track 2. (they both end at exactly the same time). I've added a "Fade In Fade Out Dissolve" to the end of both and for some reason only the fade on Track 1 is working BUT when I shorten one of the tracks (so they're not aligned anymore) then both fades work.

The goal is to have both the lower third graphic AND the video fade down to black at the same time.

is this is normal behavior? I don't remember encountering this issue before!

Thanks!

Xavier

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Two fades vertically aligned
on May 16, 2014 at 4:50:59 pm

It should be working, but there's a better way to do it. Add a slug of black above both tracks and fade it in. You won't get any unwanted transparency during the dissolve this way. If you add multiple fade outs to a stack of layers, then half way through, everything is half transparent. IOW you'll be able to see through things like tittles that were previously solid. Not generally the desired effect.

Return to posts index

Xavier Paredes
on May 16, 2014 at 5:13:41 pm

Thanks Bret, I did know about the slug trick. What surprised however was that I could swear I was able to stack fades like that.

Now I wonder if I have a buggy FCP7 installation. I don't have access to another Mac with FCP7 to check. Holding off till the new MacBook Pros come out to buy one ;-)

Thanks again!

Xavier

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2014 at 5:15:44 pm

Of course you should be able to. Are you just adding a cross dissolve, or some sort of fade to black? if you're fading to black, then you'd only see the top clip fade to black for obvious reasons.

Return to posts index

Xavier Paredes
on May 16, 2014 at 5:33:00 pm

I'm trying to stack two FADE IN FADE OUTs. BUT, I just made a quick export and I see both fades happen in the QT file but on the sequence only the top-most layer appears to fade when I scrub or play it. Weird!

Could it be a setting in FCP?

Xavier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]