FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Sony EX1 offline online workflow Solution?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
FCP 7 Sony EX1 offline online workflow Solution?
on May 15, 2014 at 11:06:55 pm

I'm editing long-form on my trusty FCP 7, see specs below, and need to deliver ProRes HQ, I have about 80-hours or more EX1 files from 3 different cameras, BPAV folders are intact, placed in camera/reel# folders and backed up.

I used FCP Log and Transfer to log clips and generate the MPEG-2 files, L&T will not make ProRes files from BPAV, correct? So I need to make proxy files from the MPEG 2 files, offline, edit then conform to ProResHQ, or at least that was the idea. But if L&T will not make ProRes from BPAV folders how am I going to conform to ProResHQ?

Whats the work around or am I missing something, is there a plug in for FCP7 to generate ProRes from L&T BPAV files?

Perhaps I convert BPAV to ProRes422, edit and nest 422 in HQ timeline for delivery output, how bad could it look for DVD and YouTube. I'm a big believer in following delivery specs but this may not matter to much. Not sure why client want HQ, the project is for DVD and YouTube, LT would work just fine.

Am I missing something, any thoughts on workflow to meet delivery spec, HQ, without importing all the footage to HQ, I have lots of storage but 2 more big projects in the pipeline from same client will wipe out my 12TB storage capacity.

Thank you,

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 Sony EX1 offline online workflow Solution?
on May 15, 2014 at 11:51:47 pm

Use XDCAM TRANSFER UTILITY to bring in the footage as XDCAM. That format has a pretty low data rate. Cut natively...then change the sequence Compressor to ProRes HQ...render...and output a self contained ProRes file.

There is no smooth offline/online with XDCAM. What I've done in the past is brought in all the footage full resolution, kept those on separate drives...media managed to lower res...and reconnected later. But it wasn't without hiccups. And if you do it that way, you have to store all the media at full res SOMEWHERE, so you aren't saving space, really.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on May 16, 2014 at 2:03:41 pm

Shane, is it really that straight forward? I already L&T the BPAV files to XDCAM, edit, then change sequence to HQ to deliver.

I've been told DO NOT edit with XDCAM especially long-form. This project has approx 100hr footage and the finished piece will be 90-minutes with a bunch of smaller segments to output. I'll be finishing on my desktop system with much of the "offline" process edited on Laptops FW Drives.

Does this sound safe with XDCAM?

Here's another quandary that may now be a mute point. I'm using ProxyMill to convert BPAV, GoPro and FS700 files to ProRes422 and proxy. Testing my workflow I converted a few files, import to FCP 7 and the files come in at 10fps with audio out of sync. What the heck am I doing to cause that. I've set the conversion in ProxyMill and files play just fine in QT but FCP7 sees and plays them at 10fps?

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 16, 2014 at 4:39:16 pm

[Michael Harrington] "I've been told DO NOT edit with XDCAM especially long-form."

I have...it's been fine. Either make the sequence a ProRes one, and your footage will come in with a Green Render bar...which will edit fine. Or work native. I'm not sure who told you not to. I've done a 1 hour doc with 72 hours of XDCAM footage. Edited native just fine.

[Michael Harrington] " I've set the conversion in ProxyMill and files play just fine in QT but FCP7 sees and plays them at 10fps?"

Means that the frame rate isn't properly being added to the new files. If you CONFORM each clip in Cinema Tools to the frame rate they should be, they'll be fine. That adds the proper metadata. But it's a bit much to do that for every clip. Contact the ImagineProducts people as ask what's up.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on May 16, 2014 at 2:12:38 pm

BTW, this is the first of 3 projects and this is the smallest, other projects will include 120 - 150 hr footage and not exactly sure which cameras I'm using for the other projects.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]