FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correction Guidance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Lanza
Color Correction Guidance
on May 15, 2014 at 2:28:59 pm

I can do simple color correction such as adjusting the white balance, but I have more advanced problem. We shot an outdoors event where people spoke at a mic at a podium. Since there was the threat of rain, the podium was protected by a large tent. We only used the natural daylight which caused the background to have a green tint and is somewhat washed out.
If the shot didn't involve people, I could create multiple correction layers and then use a mask. But since the people are moving, I thought I would look for some correction help.
7498_templetonimage03.png.zip

John Lanza
Smyrna, Tennessee

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Color Correction Guidance
on May 15, 2014 at 3:20:21 pm

Try the Secondary Color Corrector, target the green and change the hue and reduce the saturation.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2014 at 6:47:22 pm

I just looked at the still. Oh my goodness, what a train wreck. I don't envy you in the least.

There is NO detail in the blown-out portions of the background. The bright portions of the shot have caused light wrap around the subject, so you don't have any good edges. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the camera zoomed, tilted or panned, either.

Assuming that you have access to Motion, I would ask on the COW's Motion forum how to salvage this footage; I'm pretty sure this is beyond FCP's meager capabilities of color correction and color grading.

And because the background is so badly overexposed, don't expect miracles. Don't even expect something acceptable... unless the intended viewership have vision problems.

Sorry, but that's REALLY bad video you have to fix, and you just have to accept the fact that some things can't be fixed if they're worse than just garden-variety bad.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 15, 2014 at 7:12:38 pm

Here is an initial stab at it, using just the FCP7 3-way color corrector, though Apple Color would probably be the better tool.

I got this far by stacking identical copies of the shot on the timeline. The bottom one, I dropped the saturation slider and the mids slider quite a ways, and brought down the highlights a bit..

The top layer was duplicated, but with all three color wheel/balls biased to green, and the opacity reduced to 84 percent. Finally, the top layer blending/composite mode was changed to Modify> Composite Mode> Lighten. You could also try "multiply" here.

The green backdrop is still not really right. My next step would probably be to try isolating the greens using the "limit effect" eyedropper in the 3-way color corrector. Failing that, I might try some luminance keying tricks or finally, rotoscoping the background with a hand-drawn matte.

Return to posts index

John Lanza
on May 15, 2014 at 8:32:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Joe & Mark - I tried both of your methods, and though I've decided to go with Mark's suggestion, I learned a lot from the input that both of you shared.

Dave - Thanks for responding- and you're right, there's not a whole lot I can really do with the footage. But I'll live and learn. I wasn't the shooter for this event, but I was on-site, and I should have monitored how it was going to look.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 15, 2014 at 8:50:21 pm

The blown-out nature of the shot actually could make it easier to create a traveling matte by deliberately increasing the contrast even more. That would save you the work of rotoscoping a mask. Then you put the B&W mask you've created, in-between the other corrected layers and play more with the blending modes. It's never going to be "right", but it might get to the point of looking like a deliberate aesthetic choice instead of a horrendous accident. If you can get the speaker and audience more or less corrected, then gaussian blur the independently color corrected background layer, you might get away with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]